Is this sentence grammatically correct?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
lovehhi
Languages: Korean(N),English(B2)

Is this sentence grammatically correct?

Postby lovehhi » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:28 pm

Hi!

Can I ask you if the following sentence (particularly underlined part) is grammartically correct or not?

" Images of a large amount of waste floating on the river are used to expressing the environmental problem."
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Is this sentence grammatically correct?

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:02 pm

lovehhi wrote:Hi!

Can I ask you if the following sentence (particularly underlined part) is grammartically correct or not?

" Images of a large amount of waste floating on the river are used to expressing the environmental problem."
No. "to expressing" is wrong. You could perhaps have "used to express", or maybe "used expressing".

I think you might be better not using express though. Perhaps "used to demonstrate" or "used to illustrate".
6 x

lovehhi
Languages: Korean(N),English(B2)

Postby lovehhi » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:08 pm

Then, you mean, '~ on the river are used to demonstrate ~' or '~ on the river are used demonstrating' is available, right?
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:27 pm

lovehhi wrote:Hi!

" Images of a large amount of waste floating on the river are used to [u]expressing[/u] the environmental problem."

"Images of a large amount of waste floating on the river are used to highlight/emphasize the environmental problem."
The example of "to expressing" is grammatically incorrect and contextually not appropriate to express the meaning desired. First, "expressing" is a gerund. While you could say "to express", this verb doesn't convey the precision and meaning of to "highlight" or "emphasize". The word "underline" could also be used here.
9 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”