Latin inscription

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Josephine73
Languages: Latin

Latin inscription

Postby Josephine73 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:58 am

Hello, I wonder if someone could help me with a latin inscription for my mother and father's gravestone.

We want to say...

Together is love and faith

But which latin word works best for "together" in this context?

Could someone translate this into Latin accurately?

Thank you!
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Latin inscription

Postby Iversen » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:36 pm

There are definitely members here who are better Latinists than me, but I'll try to give you my feeble attempt.

First there is a slight problem to solve: are love and faith merely at the same place at the same time, or are they almost intervowen? Taking the context into account I would opt for the latter, and then the word "iunctus" (from "iungere") comes to mind, and then the translation could be something like "Amor fidesque iunctae sunt" or with a different word order: "iunctae sunt amor fidesque". The "-que" means "and", but there are alternatives, like "iunctae amor ac fides sunt", which may be more euphonic. But wait a day or two to ask your stone mason to hew the stone - there may be a genuine formula for such inscriptions, and even though I don't know it one of our resident Latinists might be better informed.
0 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), French (?), Czech (Beginner)

Re: Latin inscription

Postby SalzSäule » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:30 pm

The Latin learners community on Reddit is usually quite helpful and knowledgeable with these kinds of questions.

I'd recommend asking either at the Latin subreddit (reddit.com/r/latin) or the Latin tattoos one (reddit.com/r/mylatintattoo). I know it's not a tattoo, but the aim is similar.
0 x
Da seufzt der Tropf im Purpur unter der unabwälzbaren Last seiner armseligen Individualität; während der Hochbegabte die ödeste Umgebung mit seinen Gedanken bevölkert und belebt.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”