Best online translators

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
anitarrc
Orange Belt
Languages: Moved around... English + German + Spanish + Dutch + French + Portuguese
used daily
Catalá Russian Serbian: struggling but improving. Bahasa..needs refreshment

Re: Best online translators

Postby anitarrc » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:42 am

it depends on the language combination and the subject.
Google is inaccurate and often sounds unnatural, but if you are confronted with a very exotic language, it is certainly better than nothing

Deepl is excellent for contracts, I find that I don't need to change much, it also does a fair to good job translating general instructions. You just have to click and choose the best word or word order. At work I note that most something to English translators totally rely on Deepl, often too much.

Yandex is excellent for Russian and other East European languages. I have often been amazed how well it translates a technical vocabulary in anything from machinery to software, material testing to electronics.
Here we can also choose and pick the best, saves me a lot of work.

I work in technical translations with the odd contract or general text so I can say that I use deepl 62%, Yandex 35% and 3% google
4 x

dylan413
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Russian (C2)
Italian (B2)
Ukrainian (B1)
Azeri (A2)
French (A2)
Turkish (A2)
Uzbek (A2)

Postby dylan413 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:52 pm

One of my Russian-language professors recommended multitran for Russian. I've also heard that Yandex's translate function is better for Russian than Google Translate.
1 x

anitarrc
Orange Belt
Languages: Moved around... English + German + Spanish + Dutch + French + Portuguese
used daily
Catalá Russian Serbian: struggling but improving. Bahasa..needs refreshment

Postby anitarrc » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:37 am

dylan413 wrote:One of my Russian-language professors recommended multitran for Russian. I've also heard that Yandex's translate function is better for Russian than Google Translate.

It really depends on the subject. Once I had a Russian expert report about a mining equipment failure. It was really important to get things right.
Multitran didn't help much and got some terms very wrong. Yandex was great but still struggled so in the end i found the missing bits on academic.ru and wikipedia.ru
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”