New here! Wanting to learn French!

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Teun
Languages: Dutch (N) English (B2) French (beginner)

Re: New here! Wanting to learn French!

Postby Teun » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:33 pm

Thanks all for your wonderful replies!

I really appreciated all information I’ve got through out the days!

I’ve bought Assimil French with ease and the CLE progressive grammer A1 (orange not brown)!!! They will be here Monday or Tuesday :)

I will take notes of all the tips I’ve seen here, and will use them in my journey, to learn French!

Ive had some small side questions popping in my head. I will put them here, but maybe I’ll make it a second post.

1: any of you have a recommendation for a flash card site/app for my iPhone? Something to make your own with the Spaced Repetition System.

2:does anyone maybe have a free french easy to read e-book recommendation? I would really like to try and read a french book! If it could be a thriller it would be nice but anything goes really , if you enjoyed it its fine!

3: is the subscription for Kwiziq really necessary? I mist say live the site, its really clear amazing and has ALLOT of good solid info. I was just wondering if you really need to premium, for a single month I must sat its pretty expensive.

Thanks again for all your hard work and effort to help me with my French journey!

Hope to hear form you all again soon!
3 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:02 pm

Teun wrote:2:does anyone maybe have a free french easy to read e-book recommendation? I would really like to try and read a french book! If it could be a thriller it would be nice but anything goes really , if you enjoyed it its fine!
Heidi (text | audio) was one of the first French books I read. Le Horla (text | audio) is a good story, but I think it might be a wall of unknown words.
4 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:53 pm

I would wait until you finish Assimil to start reading. You want to have a decent internalized accent before you start, particularly with French, which chooses not to pronounce so many letters! If you want to jump right into native materials I would recommend a TV show, specifically “C'est pas sorcier.” It’s an educational science show aimed at kids. There are a million episodes on YouTube and it’s remarkably interesting and easy to follow. (How is candy made? Let’s go to the factory!)
8 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:33 pm

Agreeing with Lawyer&Mom's advice, I will add I've never read an "easy" French book.
There are some useful ideas in the Wiki:

Dual Texts
and
Super Challenge Recommendations for French.

Don't forget comic books. Comics for adults can be sophisticated yet not hard.
In the past emk has recommended Aldebaran if you like science fiction.
For more ideas about comics, search this forum for bandes dessinées.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Teun

Postby Teun » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:33 pm

Thanks allot again! Will look into the dual-text looks really promising indeed.

One quick question tho, if I want to learn the conjunctions (if I say that correctly) of for example “I am - Je suis” wich forms would you advise to learn first? (Ea. Present, past and so on) because there ar ALLOT and I know they are all important but still, what would you recommend first.

Thanks allot again you all are amazing!
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:38 pm

Teun wrote:Thanks allot again! Will look into the dual-text looks really promising indeed.

One quick question tho, if I want to learn the conjunctions (if I say that correctly) of for example “I am - Je suis” wich forms would you advise to learn first? (Ea. Present, past and so on) because there ar ALLOT and I know they are all important but still, what would you recommend first.

So CLE also have a book for this -- Conjugation Progressive. Might be worth browsing the chapter orders in some of the earlier books and see what order they do it. Usually present, passé compossé, imparfait, futur proche, futur simple, etc.
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:39 pm

Teun wrote:One quick question tho, if I want to learn the conjunctions (if I say that correctly) of for example “I am - Je suis” wich forms would you advise to learn first? (Ea. Present, past and so on) because there ar ALLOT and I know they are all important but still, what would you recommend first.

The ones you would use most in any language: basic present, past and future. Though lots of students fall into confusion at first regarding how to form the past/future.

Can I just clear something up regarding English? 'Allot' is not a word. It is two words: a lot. Sorry about that, it was like scratching an itch!
2 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:14 pm

Teun wrote:1: any of you have a recommendation for a flash card site/app for my iPhone? Something to make your own with the Spaced Repetition System.

2:does anyone maybe have a free french easy to read e-book recommendation? I would really like to try and read a french book! If it could be a thriller it would be nice but anything goes really , if you enjoyed it its fine!

3: is the subscription for Kwiziq really necessary? I mist say live the site, its really clear amazing and has ALLOT of good solid info. I was just wondering if you really need to premium, for a single month I must sat its pretty expensive.

Thanks again for all your hard work and effort to help me with my French journey!

Hope to hear form you all again soon!

1. You can get Anki for iOS (although you have to pay for the Apple version). Anki is easily the most recommended SRS here on the forum, although there are others. The desktop version is free.
2. Personally, I would recommend that you get a book translated from English which you've read before and enjoyed. Start reading with that, since you know the plot and the characters already. Also, translations a typically easier and simpler language than full on native novels (even the ones for young adults)
3. You don't need to pay for the subscription, try it for a couple of months and then pay if you think it will be useful. I paid for a couple of months, but got bored with it and quit.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:17 pm

Teun wrote:Thanks allot again! Will look into the dual-text looks really promising indeed.

Just FYI for clarity, the word you're looking for in this sentence is conjugations, not conjunctions. You want to know which conjugational forms to learn first.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Teun

Postby Teun » Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:39 pm

rdearman wrote:1. You can get Anki for iOS (although you have to pay for the Apple version). Anki is easily the most recommended SRS here on the forum, although there are others. The desktop version is free.

Do you recommend Anki? I would only be able to use the web version, because I’m never really on my or any pc. I would be able to set it up tho, but that’s it.

One problem is…. My memory is REALLY bad this moment, I’ve really never used or trained my brain for like 15 years… would that change your suggestion? If no how much new words would you recommend?

I would also like to know about other good recommendations (for phone) if you have the time :)

Thank you for your time! It means the world to me!

P.S. tomorrow the books arrive!
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”