automatication and simplification

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

automatication and simplification

Postby Ccaesar » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:13 pm

Hello everyone

I made a thread recently, In which I got some useful feedback regarding using excel to prepare bunch of cards for Anki.
It got my thinking: What kind of tools/methods are you all using to automaticate or simplify the non-learning related tasks of your projects? I know from Atomic habits that making something attractive and easy makes one more likely to do something (such as learning a language) and I am constantly on the look out for new gadgets, methods, apps or tools to improve that scenario.

Has anyone tried migaku for other languages than Japanese? I am considering as an alternative to language reactor due to the "click and add this scene/phrase/sound" to anki" button....

How do you make it easier to focus on the part of the learning proces that you enjoy? Let's make each others paths easier to not fall astray from!
2 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Re: automatication and simplification

Postby Ccaesar » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:28 am

Having considered things more closely, I suppose lingQ is a tool that aids in the automatizion process.
How many of you use it?
- what other apps/software/programmes do you use?
0 x

lingohot
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (certified C1), French (certified C1), Spanish (reading intermediate, speaking/writing/listening beginner)

Postby lingohot » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:04 am

Ccaesar wrote:Has anyone tried migaku for other languages than Japanese? I am considering as an alternative to language reactor due to the "click and add this scene/phrase/sound" to anki" button....

Does it work for other languages?

"Learning with Texts" https://learning-with-texts.sourceforge.io/ can also create Anki flashcards automatically.
2 x
Lingohot™ – the hots for languages ;) :o

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:16 pm

lingohot wrote:
Ccaesar wrote:Has anyone tried migaku for other languages than Japanese? I am considering as an alternative to language reactor due to the "click and add this scene/phrase/sound" to anki" button....

Does it work for other languages?

"Learning with Texts" https://learning-with-texts.sourceforge.io/ can also create Anki flashcards automatically.

Learning with texts, does it only work with books or subtitles?

I have watched several youtube videos and it seems Migaku now supports a variety of languages!
1 x

lingohot
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (certified C1), French (certified C1), Spanish (reading intermediate, speaking/writing/listening beginner)

Postby lingohot » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:26 pm

Ccaesar wrote:Learning with texts, does it only work with books or subtitles?

AFAIK you need to be able too copy the text and paste it into the Learning with Texts editor. So you can use any kind of text that can be copied and pasted.

I have watched several youtube videos and it seems Migaku now supports a variety of languages!

That's interesting, I'll look into that. Depending on the individual learning style it might be very beneficial.
1 x
Lingohot™ – the hots for languages ;) :o

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:38 pm

I think I've posted about it elsewhere, but I use an iPad to read Kindle books and at least when I did research a while back there were no utilities/programs to turn highlights from that into a .csv or anything useful for Anki import (this is not true if you use an actual Kindle device, however). So I created a simple workflow, I highlight sentences/phrases with unknown words, when I'm done reading the book I export the highlights to an html file, run a Python script that uses BeautifulSoup parse that, then uses Google's Cloud Translation to render English versions, and export as a .csv which I import into Anki. It helps particularly when you're too early to read paper books (my preference) but I'm able to at least repeat those words that give me trouble with Anki reviews, and I think it's made me switch to paper books quicker in French than I did in Spanish (where I tried to jump without this and struggled). It's nothing fancy but it's a pretty quick process and I don't highlight a ton, just words that stick out to me or I've been seeing a bunch, I'm wary of spending too much time on Anki. I used to use LingQ but I find it much easier to buy books on Amazon and have them right on Kindle--I'm all about making things easy.

I tried a couple free translation services (IBM's?) and they were trash, the Google one charges me one cent a month for usage for whatever reason but it's definitely worth it. Very occasionally I have to edit the translations, but honestly I hardly ever look at them when reviewing cards unless I need a hint as to what the word means. Sometimes I'll manually add a definition under that if it's really not sticking. I don't think I've automated anything else with regards to language learning, but I'm big on automating stuff for work and being lazy :lol:
2 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”