Is there anyone who is learning Sanskrit here?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
tmexa
Languages: English
Want to learn Sanskrit, Tamil, Spanish

Is there anyone who is learning Sanskrit here?

Postby tmexa » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:04 am

Hello everyone,
I just joined, and I was wondering if anyone here is currently learning Sanskrit.
My goal here is to learn Classical Sanskrit. I am still learning the Devanagari script, and I just learned a few pronouns.
I would appreciate any guidance and/or suggestions.
1 x

zgriptsuroica
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Advanced, especially reading), Spanish (Advanced), Brazilian Portuguese (Advanced), Japanese (beginner), Icelandic (just starting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17372

Re: Is there anyone who is learning Sanskrit here?

Postby zgriptsuroica » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:06 pm

Not learning it (yet...), but the resource thread is over here. You might also be able to find a study group searching in the study group subforum.
3 x
Genki I: 0 / 12

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:08 pm

Hello, it would be helpful to hear from you what you are already using for learning Sanskrit, and anything about yourself as a learner, including why you want to learn Sanskrit.

I have Sanskrit down as one of my "learning" languages, but I haven't touched it for years now. Nevertheless, I have a few ideas and suggestions which might help. First of all, I know the Devanagari alphabet very well for Hindi, so I should be able to answer questions about it if need be.

When I briefly decided to give Sanskrit a go I wanted to use a lot of audio, but unfortunately very few Sanskrit courses use audio. In addition, most Sanskrit audio for learners that I could find were chants. I bought Sanskrit Pronunciation by Brice Cameron Hall, but all of the audio is spoken with a strong American accent, which makes it worthless in my estimation.

At the time, Assimil had just released their Sanskrit course, so I jumped on that one. Although I only completed the first 9 or 10 lessons, I really liked the course and would highly recommend it. The audio is good quality, and the progression was appropriate for my level. The problem for some learners will be that the base language is French. But even if you don't speak French, I would recommend getting the mp3s directly from Assimil, and use them as a form of comprehensible input alongside whatever other course you may be using. I suggest the mp3s because they have the text embedded as lyrics, so with the right audio player you can read while listening when you want to.
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:12 pm

I'm not currently learning it, but I would love to some day, along with Pali.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

cito
Orange Belt
Languages: EN (N) //
FR LT ES
OE EL RU
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Postby cito » Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:33 pm

0 x
50 French Books: 20 / 50
LLPSI-FA: 33 / 35
Greek ASSIMIL: 29 / 100
Russian ASSIMIL: 43 / 100
(On Pause)
Latin ASSIMIL: 29 / 101
Spanish ASSIMIL: 40 / 100

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”