Accent evaluation

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Re: Accent evaluation

Postby Adrianslont » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:45 am

Le Baron wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:To add to my own confusion, I think she pronounces “book” like she’s from Manchester or surrounds.

It does have that regional sound (I still say it like that), though in Manchester itself and even many of the regions, especially education places, it has been almost entirely superseded by the standard pronunciation.

Well, that interesting how that disappeared.

I left Manchester decades ago and deliberately lost it to fit in here in Australia.

OP, thanks for coming back to reveal where you are from. I think your English sounds great.

I’m feeling slightly successful with the Latvia part of my multi-pronged guess - it’s not too far from Crimea! The only Latvian that I know is actually a Russian first language speaker. That probably influenced my guess. :lol:

Are you sure you don’t watch Australian soap operas and Coronation Street? :lol:

Edit: Peter Mollenberg’s mention of Latvia influenced me, too.
2 x

Gill21
Languages: Spanish (beginner)

Postby Gill21 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:07 am

Adrianslont wrote:I’m feeling slightly successful with the Latvia part of my multi-pronged guess - it’s not too far from Crimea! The only Latvian that I know is actually a Russian first language speaker. That probably influenced my guess. :lol:

Are you sure you don’t watch Australian soap operas and Coronation Street? :lol:

Yeah, I think Latvia is a good guess.

I'm pretty sure. I might hear some Australian accent here and there on YouTube, you know, but I think it happens very rarely.
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:22 am

I'd never have guessed Russian! Amazing.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:03 am

Gill21 wrote:I feel that a lot (really a huge percent) of responses suggest Eastern Asia, because I cannot do natural intonation, I mean when I intentionally try to fake it, I overdo it big time, and it must make people think I have a tonal first language.

For me, I just thought that some of your features reminded me of how some Chinese people speak - Cantonese, to be specific. And mostly on a phoneme level, but only here and there.

Well done.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Gill21
Languages: Spanish (beginner)

Postby Gill21 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:01 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Gill21 wrote:I feel that a lot (really a huge percent) of responses suggest Eastern Asia, because I cannot do natural intonation, I mean when I intentionally try to fake it, I overdo it big time, and it must make people think I have a tonal first language.

For me, I just thought that some of your features reminded me of how some Chinese people speak - Cantonese, to be specific. And mostly on a phoneme level, but only here and there.

Well done.

That is interesting.

Thank you!
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”