Academic dilemma

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Thomas32
Languages: italian

Academic dilemma

Postby Thomas32 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:56 am

I am an Italian PhD student in philosophy and my supervisor absolutely wants me to give a talk at an international conference at the end of August. The talk will be in Italian but the questions will inevitably be in English. However, I have a very low listening level (I think A2), although I am around B1 in the other skills. I can devote up to eight hours a day to English, but I am afraid that is not enough. What should I do? (There are no interpreters).
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Academic dilemma

Postby rdearman » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:25 pm

I had a similar problem at a polyglot conference. I'm a native English speaker but I gave my presentation in French. However at the beginning of a presentation I told everyone that although the presentation would be in French, the questions and answers would be in English.

I don't think it's unreasonable for you to tell the audience in advance that they must ask questions in Italian. If someone can sit through a 45-minute presentation in Italian and understand enough to ask questions they should be able to form the question into Italian.
9 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:17 pm

I would cheerfully announce that English listening is difficult for you, ask them to ask questions slowly and bring a stack of index cards so, if necessary, questions can be put in writing.

I’ve found that being clear, upfront and upbeat about my limitations makes people willing to accommodate me.

If you want to take this opportunity to work on your English listening that is great. But have a backup plan anyway.
5 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:39 pm

Be ill on that day.
2 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

wherahiko
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (learning now), French, Italian, German, Latin (previous study, keeping up active listening)

Postby wherahiko » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:02 pm

Greetings - I’m a fellow academic.

I find that at international conferences, many of the participants (presenters and audience) are non-native English speakers anyway. The questions you get will likely be asked in slower English (for the benefit of everyone) and the terminology will be from your field so it will be familiar. It's quite a different situation to trying to understand a rapid-fire native-level podcast or pub conversation.

To practise, I’d recommend listening to content in your academic field (e.g. YouTube, etc.) and speaking in English about your topic with your peers.

I was once present at a conference when a French presenter—one of the leading scholars in her field—gave her first (ever) paper in English. It was quite a privilege to hear. When it came to the questions, the first was asked in English; she started answering in English then, part-way through, asked the audience if it were ok for her to continue in French. No-one minded at all. After that, people (many of them not native French speakers) continued to ask questions in French, which she answered in French. People were far more interested in what she had to say than what language it was in.

Best wishes for your conference paper, and enjoy the conference!
6 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:54 am

I would like to present a trick that helped me massively improve my French listening comprehension. Watch the news every day!

The news is good for a few reasons. Presenters speak clearly but at normal speed. They will probably mention topics, people, or places that you are already familiar with, which can help you learn new words from context. And the video will also help you figure out what is going on.

I would also recommend Assimil (very popular on this forum!). Focus on listening without looking at the text.
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”