Your Advice about this German Study Plan, Bitte?!

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
HumanBeing18
White Belt
Languages: English (Learning)

Your Advice about this German Study Plan, Bitte?!

Postby HumanBeing18 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:10 pm

Hello,
I am a new language learner, I know some English -I will revive it soon after German-, lost my French through years,
I just need your advice about this study plan to reach 'good' level in german, by good level I mean to be able to reach fairly a 'high' B2 on CEFR,
I'm inspired by this forum BTW, :)
for 'A0' level - pre-CEFR-: Pimsleur I and II then move to Michel Thomas three parts, foundation, advanced, and builder - I won't take the vocabulary one -.
for 'B2' level: FSI German Basic -because of the drills-, Langenscheidt Basic German Vocabulary -because FSI course lacks Vocabulary -,
and Routledge Essential German Grammar as a grammar reference.
for 'Workplace' level - I Think I should be at General B2 level to start study for workplace language-, Geschäftliche Begegnungen (A2-B1) from shubert-verlag then Entscheidungen -BTW this book demands to anyone that wants to study it to be at B2 level-,
Training berufliche Kommunikation books for workplace skills, Idioms through 1000 deutsche Redensarten and Das A und O Deutsche Redewendungen,
and Routledge German Grammar & Usage as grammar reference...
for Language Skills (per Lesson), 10 minutes speaking practice, write short sentences using new words and structures, read DW slow news, and listen to about 80 minutes.

So my questions for you: What do you think about this study plan? thanks!!
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: Your Advice about this German Study Plan, Bitte?!

Postby Le Baron » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:39 pm

HumanBeing18 wrote:I Think I should be at General B2 level to start study for workplace language

Why? It depends what the work is and even then.
HumanBeing18 wrote:I Think I should be at General B2 level to start study for workplace language-, Geschäftliche Begegnungen (A2-B1) from shubert-verlag then Entscheidungen -BTW this book demands to anyone that wants to study it to be at B2 level-,

I don't understand this. How can they demand you be at B2 level to study an A2-B1 book?

What is your native language?
3 x

HumanBeing18
White Belt

Postby HumanBeing18 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:47 pm

Le Baron wrote:I don't understand this. How can they demand you be at B2 level to study an A2-B1 book?

What is your native language?

Thanks for your response! :)
1) Sorry for misunderstanding! B2 level is needed for Entscheidungen book -it's in their book from shubert-verlag-
the same publisher of Begegnungen and Spektrum.
2) My native language isn't Indo-European language, it's semitic!! ;)
Last edited by HumanBeing18 on Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Postby BeaP » Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:02 am

There are 2 important questions: When do you need to use German at your workplace? Are you experienced / good at self-study (not languages, generally)?
Less important, but still: Why do you want to use German-English resources if you think you only know 'some English'?
Reason for this question: These resources are not outstandingly good. For example, in Central Europe learning German has a huge tradition. We have a lot of excellent bilingual resources. Maybe you should take a look at resources in your native language. The importance of English as a lingua franca does not necessarily mean that German-English books have the highest quality. If your English is relatively poor, it's an extra obstacle.

I can only recommend you monolingual resources, I assume you're not Hungarian. These are all good in my opinion, but need to be complemented with something bilingual at the beginning. I think you can start to work on 'workplace language' after doing A1, so when you have the bases covered.

This one is for those who need to learn quickly: https://www.klett-sprachen.de/daf-kompakt/r-1/67#reiter=titel&niveau=A1-B1
This series has the most natural and useful dialogues, teaches 'workplace language' from the beginning: https://www.klett-sprachen.de/aussichten/r-1/18#reiter=titel&niveau=A1
Hueber has various books according to the field you're working on: https://shop.hueber.de/de/beruf-daf
A search at Klett gives even more possibilities: https://www.klett-sprachen.de/search-1/quicksearch/result?schnellsuche_absenden=&schnellsuche=beruf

Try to look at the samples, look for the word 'Leseproben' or the sign with a red book and a hand. Do you like the layout? Could you work long hours with a certain book? Look through 'Inhaltsbeschreibung'. Would this be useful for you? These two publishers usually can be trusted.

Try to find a good grammar in your native language, because German is 'grammar-heavy'. A monolingual grammar I like: https://www.cornelsen.de/reihen/grammatik-aktiv-deutsch-als-fremdsprache-120002420000 Hueber grammars are also very good.

People have their own taste when it comes to resources. I personally wouldn't be able to learn from Erkundungen. For me it's one of the worst books. I find it condescending, boring and outdated. However, it has many fans. You don't need books with a list of idioms.

Read, watch, listen to native materials from the beginning. Don't wait. You don't need to suffer through 2-hour programmes. 5-10 minute videos are OK. I'd skip anything 'slow', 'for learners'. Coursebooks take care of this part.

If someone does the programme you've outlined diligently, they will get to B2. So if you like it or you've already bought everything, they're OK. Most of the time it's an individual choice, the question is what can you trust, what can you work with on the long run.
6 x

HumanBeing18
White Belt

Postby HumanBeing18 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:01 pm

BeaP wrote:There are 2 important questions: When do you need to use German at your workplace? Are you experienced / good at self-study (not languages, generally)?
Less important, but still: Why do you want to use German-English resources if you think you only know 'some English'?

If someone does the programme you've outlined diligently, they will get to B2. So if you like it or you've already bought everything, they're OK. Most of the time it's an individual choice, the question is what can you trust, what can you work with on the long run.

Thanks for your advice! :)
1) The sooner the better I think to reach this B2 level.
2) I have motivation, so :)
3) As for German-English books, I think the translating process is tough for A1-B1 level, maybe later it will be easier.
1 x

BeaP
Green Belt

Postby BeaP » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:28 pm

HumanBeing18 wrote:1) The sooner the better I think to reach this B2 level.

I asked because if you need to be able to use German very quickly, it might be a good idea to use one thorough resource instead of several incomplete ones. Language learning isn't necessarily a one-way progression from one book to another. You can do a book (or any resource) several times, actually I think a lot of cases it's even better this way. First you read and understand everything, then you start again from the beginning and do the exercises. Then you start again and repeat things, do the exercises again, but only orally. You can start communicating with others after the first round, you don't have to wait so much, because you've already seen the most important things at least once.

Other members might be able to help you with German-English resources that would be fit for this. I think I'd substitute Pimsleur with Teach yourself, because it shows more aspects of the language. But I don't know these resources very well, especially not the German ones. Anyway, ask yourself every once in a while if you feel ready to use monolingual resources. I still think English might be an unnecessary complication.
4 x

HumanBeing18
White Belt

Postby HumanBeing18 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:49 am

BeaP wrote:Other members might be able to help you with German-English resources that would be fit for this. I think I'd substitute Pimsleur with Teach yourself, because it shows more aspects of the language. But I don't know these resources very well, especially not the German ones. Anyway, ask yourself every once in a while if you feel ready to use monolingual resources. I still think English might be an unnecessary complication.

Okay then, another study plan:
B2 level: Spektrum (A1-B2) -I just like the format-, Grammatik Aktiv, Klett Thematischer Basiswortschatz Deutsch als Fremdsprache - I wish If there is a similar book for B2 -, Hueber skills books.
3 x

BeaP
Green Belt

Postby BeaP » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:52 am

HumanBeing18 wrote:B2 level: Spektrum (A1-B2) -I just like the format-, Grammatik Aktiv, Klett Thematischer Basiswortschatz Deutsch als Fremdsprache - I wish If there is a similar book for B2 -, Hueber skills books.

These are all very good resources IMHO. Although I'm not a fan of Shubert Verlag's books (it's personal taste, I can't say anything bad about the method), Spektrum is more traditional and systematic than most coursebooks. It says it has an answer key (Lösungsheft). It's a good choice. Do the oral exercises even if you don't have a study partner.

The vocabulary book also looks useful. At B2 I don't think you'll want to study from word lists anymore, but by the time you arrive there, you might find something. Don't worry about it now.

At the very beginning I'm sure you can find explanations in your native language on the internet. A1 level has the most free resources online. If you don't understand a concept, look it up on google or an online dictionary. But I think you'll be able to use monolingual books very soon without a problem. One more thing: Listen to the audio as many times as you can. Grammatik Aktiv also has audio drills, don't skip them.

If you feel stuck, please come back and describe your problem. Don't look for general videos on language learning. I wish you success both in learning German and your job.
3 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:05 am

Using Pimsleur isn't a poor choice (and in this plan it's not the only method being employed). It starts you off on repeating and pronunciation whilst you're busy with the grammatical and other technical stuff behind the scenes. I wouldn't see Teach Yourself as a substitute for Pimsleur in this regard, they are different sorts of resources. Teach Yourself being a course involving all aspects of the language (and not really much audio), and Pimsleur being 100% focused on aural/oral comprehension and developing speaking patterns.

It would be easy to drop Pimsleur at some point along the way (maybe after no.3) if a student thought they were no longer getting anything from it. I've used the German Pimsleur in the past and found it useful.
0 x

BeaP
Green Belt

Postby BeaP » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:56 am

Le Baron wrote:I've used the German Pimsleur in the past and found it useful.

The difference is that you don't know 'some English', you're a a native speaker. If I remember well, Pimsleur is basically an oral translation exercise. Using two foreign languages at the same moment is extremely tiring, at least for me. The lower my level is, the more tiring it becomes. For example, I'd never learn Portuguese from an French book. Why would I tie my legs before jumping into the pool? Sometimes I force myself to use Hungarian resources just to remind me of the difference. (I used to take English as a base language for granted until I saw a video with Luca Lampariello. He surprised me a lot when he said that he used Italian as a base language. I compared things during a short period, and the difference was huge. With a Hungarian base I can put all my effort in learning the new language, and the meanings are also much clearer.)

My argument for Teach yourself is that it contains more systematic explanations and more varied exercises. Because of the written format it's not a race against the clock. One can write translations in their native language above the dialogues. I think it's easier to use if your native language is not English. But I agree that Pimsleur can be a good supplement. I just don't think that for 100 USD it's worth it for a non-native English speaker, especially not if they need to use their energy in the most efficient way.
6 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”