17th century Spanish

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
velive
Languages: Italian, French, Spanish, German, Latin, Ancient Greek

17th century Spanish

Postby velive » Sat May 07, 2022 8:24 pm

Is anyone able to recommend some good learning materials for approaching 17th century Spanish literature?

I have a pretty good reading knowledge of modern Spanish, but I have been trying to read some works from the 1600's and in some ways it seems like an entirely different language. Different grammar. Sometimes different spellings. Words I can't find in any modern dictionary.

Do any learning materials exist meant to specifically prepare someone for understanding this older style of Spanish? Has someone created a grammar specifically targeted at it?
1 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: 17th century Spanish

Postby Querneus » Sat May 07, 2022 9:06 pm

The RAE's dictionary, the DRAE, contains a large number of obsolete words.

Specialized academic dictionaries such as Cejador y Frauca's Diccionario fraseológico del siglo de oro (2008) or Lacarta's Diccionario del siglo de oro (1996) do exist.

As for grammar, you may find it useful to read Ralph Penny's A History of the Spanish Language. Much of what he discusses is actually 13th-century Old Spanish, but by approaching an even earlier stage you may find 17th-century aspects easier. (I personally don't feel 17th-century grammar gets in the way much though, compared to the vocabulary...)
7 x

Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Herodotean » Sat May 07, 2022 9:07 pm

I made it through Part I of Don Quijote a decade or so ago using Tom Lathrop's edition. I found it very helpful for both vocabulary and unfamiliar syntax. He also has a Don Quijote Dictionary, but I didn't find it necessary because the notes in the edition itself are so thorough. Reading through the Quijote with Lathrop should be excellent preparation for reading other seventeenth-century works.
4 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sat May 07, 2022 9:35 pm

I doubt that you will find a course like "17th Century Spanish With Ease" available. I'll second Querneus' recommendation of the RAE. The RAE Diccionario de la lengua is online and has most of the obsolete Spanish vocabulary defined. I used it whenever I would come upon a word in Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol that had a Spanish origin from the 15th Century that I could not locate in my Ladino dictionaries. More often than not, I was successful.

The Centro Virtual Cervantes is a fantastic reference for literature from that time period. They have a good study guide for Quijote online and their hard copy edition of the book is for sale at a reasonable price. The online edition with clickable pop-up notes is here. It's quite well annotated. Of course, its notes, footnotes, definitions and explanations are all monolingual... so, Herodotean's suggestion is a good one.
7 x

Fuerza
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (Heritage-Advanced), Italian (Low-Intermediate), Sicilian (Passive-working on it), Latin (High Beginner) Old English (Beginner)

Postby Fuerza » Sun May 08, 2022 12:51 am

This might be a decent start

https://espanolabierto.org/wp-content/u ... t-2017.pdf

It’s an open-access student edition designed for AP Spanish students, with glosses for the more archaic or less common vocabulary. I’m not sure if it’s what you’re looking for but hopefully it’s of some use.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”