Looking for interesting Swiss German movies/tv shows

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Looking for interesting Swiss German movies/tv shows

Postby Doitsujin » Sat May 07, 2022 1:17 pm

I'd like to learn some Swiss German, preferably Züritüütsch, and I have no idea how to get started. I thought it might help if I watched some interesting Swiss German movies or TV shows.
The last Swiss German movie that I watched was Flitzer AKA Streaker.

I got the gist of most of the dialogues, because of the subject matter and because the whole movie was basically a sequence of predictable dad jokes.
I'm looking for similar movies and TV shows. Of course, I'm also interested in other resources, for example, practical text books that explain the sound differences between Swiss German and Standard German. (I'm not interested in highbrow phonetics/phonology books.)
I'm guessing that Switzerland must have produced some courses for people moving to their country.
3 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Looking for interesting Swiss German movies/tv shows

Postby DaveAgain » Sat May 07, 2022 1:52 pm

I tried and failed to watch Der Bestatter, and Motel :-)

I also failed with a radio programme called Lebensgeschichten.
4 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Sat May 07, 2022 7:39 pm

I briefly tried to learn Swiss German in 2016 and recall that the Swiss public television website had a few shows available for streaming, of which the most interesting was a teen drama called Best Friends. Which isn't saying much, since that was basically the only show available other than random documentaries and reality tv, but beggars can't be choosers.
3 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat May 07, 2022 9:21 pm

The EDGE Browser can read German texts with a Swiss German voice "Leni", but I don't know what inner Swiss accent/dialect that is and how "natural" it sounds since it follows standard German word order. To me it sounds pretty good.
2 x

MaggieMae
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=18071

Postby MaggieMae » Thu May 12, 2022 11:19 am

SRF has an app for news that has articles in both High German and Swiss German. Play Suisse has lots of TV shows in Swiss German, too. I don't know if they're available outside Switzerland or not (and I don't know if you're outside of Switzerland or not) but those are where I'll be going when my Swiss German gets a little better.

ETA: They don't really have a lot in the way of teaching Swiss German here, btw. If someone is looking to move to the German part of Switzerland, the suggestion is ALWAYS to learn Standard High German first. And if you're planning on moving here, ***Pay close attention to where you want to live before you start learning a language!*** The western part of Switzerland speaks French (Geneva, Lausanne, Neuchatel, etc), Ticino, in the south, speaks Italian, and parts of Graubünden, in the southeastern Alpine area, speak Rumansh. ALL German speaking Swiss people can understand High German. It's the written language here, and they have to learn it in school. Sometimes they don't want to SPEAK it, but they all understand it.
4 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”