French C2 in one year

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Re: French C2 in one year

Postby BeaP » Wed May 11, 2022 11:39 am

The only possible way (in my opinion) to reach this high level in one year is to move to France, live with a French family, make friends and go out with French people and take lessons every day at a language school.

As others have already mentioned, taking an exam is a completely different thing. Coursebooks, on-line lessons with a good teacher and mock tests can take you to your goal if you're disciplined, experienced and have good learning skills.

I'd suggest you to start learning without a deadline (if it's possible), and spend a limited time every now and then on reading other members' logs, search for threads that have 'C2' in the title. No-one can give you a detailed plan or path that you should follow, but you'll come across new and useful ideas all the time. It might be a good idea to bookmark some threads, come back to them later with more experience and see if you see the information in a different light. My experience is that the learning techniques or motivating words I need at a given point of time stand out from the discussions as if they were highlighted. I recognise and understand them immediately.

The longest time I've spent in an English-speaking country was 5 days. It was 30 years ago. I hope Luke will adopt me someday, I get the 'legal connection' and I can improve. (To say nothing of the inheritance.) ;)
3 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed May 11, 2022 12:14 pm

thierry_zero wrote:What would be the best way to achieve C2-level fluency in one year?

It's not going to happen.

Why? The best way to gage commitment is to address the conversation that people are trying to have with the OP.
OP posted their question and hasn't come back.

Dollar to donuts, it's more wishful thinking that an engaged intent to do the work.

But if you do come back and return to the conversation, it would be useful to know what level of B2 you find yourself at? Where are your weaknesses? How well do you know how to learn? How long did it take you to get to B2? What other languages do you know?
what methods do you personally already use? Etc... Give us the beef, so that we aren't just guessing from our own experience and bias.

There is some great advice here, I really appreciate it, but is the OP listening?
7 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Postby BeaP » Wed May 11, 2022 12:25 pm

zenmonkey wrote:OP posted their question and hasn't come back.

I've noticed that this happens quite often. I wonder why. Nowadays I'm hesitant to reply, but I usually do it because these threads can be useful for others as well. But sometimes I feel as if we were school kids getting assignments that no-one is really interested in. Maybe they're waiting for an e-mail notification that never comes?
4 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Wed May 11, 2022 12:38 pm

BeaP wrote:

I've noticed that this happens quite often. I wonder why. Nowadays I'm hesitant to reply, but I usually do it because these threads can be useful for others as well. But sometimes I feel as if we were school kids getting assignments that no-one is really interested in. Maybe they're waiting for an e-mail notification that never comes?

It's too bad if the OP doesn't come back and read what people have written, but it's not necessary for the discussion. It's posted in the practical questions section, and it's helpful to the rest of us to read practical advice.
5 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed May 11, 2022 2:20 pm

BeaP wrote:

... and I loved your answer and others. I was hesitant to post my point of view but then I thought about it and it is a bit of a pain to take the time to answer something and then see no interest.

jeffers wrote:It's too bad if the OP doesn't come back and read what people have written, but it's not necessary for the discussion. It's posted in the practical questions section, and it's helpful for the rest of us to read practical advice.

I hope so, I usually write to a larger audience too. And the generic question has been asked and answered before.
Certainly, I'm not saying don't answer - I'd hate to gatekeep the community. I love seeing more posts. But I am expressing my thoughts about the likelihood of success for this type of fly-by-night posters.

Maybe BeaP is right! They are waiting for an email notification that doesn't exist :lol: (Something I always turn off because my mailbox is already the size of Saturn.)
4 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Wed May 11, 2022 3:32 pm

STT44 wrote:Example of someone who started learning Japanese from zero and after 8 months passed the JLPT N1 with a perfect score:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/ ... 85_months/

Only one example? Shame. The non-technical term for this is: exception which proves the rule. And we only have the word of the person anyway.

These things help no-one. They should be prefaced with:
Step one: Give up most other things in your life, because you'll be largely spending it on language learning, day-in, day-out. And depending on how good, organised. focused and motivated you are, this might be a grind until you crash.

I have a radical suggestion: that people stop saying: "how can I pass X exam (the higher the better please thanks)" and confusing this with: "how can I learn X-language so that I can talk to people, read books, watch TV and maybe even use it for a job in the future?'

Doing an exam is what you do after you've learned a language, maybe in stages. If one ever needs an exam at all. Because passing an exam is not equal to 'knowing' something intimately. Actually learning a language takes a while. Modelling ourselves on the epic postings of tunnel-vision internet 'savants' who like passing exams and being faster than everyone else is a mistake.
7 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Wed May 11, 2022 4:51 pm

STT44 wrote:Someone who went from 0 to DELF C1 certified in 7 months:

https://www.reddit.com/r/French/comment ... c1_from_0/

Keep 'em coming. I'm certain that should enough be collected the reality of 'zero to fluent' will radically alter.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed May 11, 2022 5:46 pm

I am a counter example. Zero to who knows, in 15 years. I should try harder.
8 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Wed May 11, 2022 6:33 pm

LanguageLearner0007 wrote:I would argue that fluency requires a strong emotional and possibly legal connection with the language. Either you're connected to that language by blood, by nationality, by really strong love/friendship or similar.

Everything else cannot be considered fluency.

Either this is self-evident (you have to really commit to a language to work at it enough to get to C levels, that is an emotional bond), or removes most of the utility from the term "fluency", if it's going to be limited to what I would call "native-level fluency".
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed May 11, 2022 8:11 pm

I don't think anyone is saying that it can not be done. I think what everyone is saying as that it's extraordinary difficult and the examples you are giving are the exception rather than the rule.
7 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”