French C2 in one year

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
thierry_zero
Languages: English, French (B2)

French C2 in one year

Postby thierry_zero » Fri May 06, 2022 1:52 pm

I have done DELF B2 in 2018 and now I would like to improve my french to complete fluency. I would like to ask opinions of people with more experience and knowledge that what would be the best way to achieve C2-level fluency in one year?
0 x

Jim
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (frosty intermediate), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5766

Re: French C2 in one year

Postby Jim » Fri May 06, 2022 4:16 pm

Your question reminds me of this comment from Blaurebell elsewhere on the forum:
blaurebell wrote:… I believe that jumping from B2 to C2 hinges on crazy amounts of input and output, like 1500h+ audio, 20,000-30,000 pages reading, 50,000-100,000 words output, hundreds of hours of speaking with adequate feedback, and so on. I'd guess about 2500h+ in an easy language. Even at 7h a day, 50h a week, that takes a about a year.

I think there’s a lot of truth in this.
11 x
La hora más oscura es la que viene antes del nacimiento del sol

Merci de corriger mes erreurs !

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri May 06, 2022 5:46 pm

STT44 wrote:Possible, if you are in full-time learning, all your waking hours, with no distraction whatsoever.

Possible to learn most of the content of the C2 course at any rate. Advanced 'fluency' is a time-based development though, not an exam-based one. And takes longer than a year.
6 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Fri May 06, 2022 5:50 pm

Jim wrote:Your question reminds me of this comment from Blaurebell elsewhere on the forum:
blaurebell wrote:… I believe that jumping from B2 to C2 hinges on crazy amounts of input and output, like 1500h+ audio, 20,000-30,000 pages reading, 50,000-100,000 words output, hundreds of hours of speaking with adequate feedback, and so on. I'd guess about 2500h+ in an easy language. Even at 7h a day, 50h a week, that takes a about a year.

I think there’s a lot of truth in this.

I really miss Blaurebell! She knew what she was talking about.
8 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Postby german2k01 » Fri May 06, 2022 5:53 pm

You are being generous on Quora some people want to achieve a C2 level in German in 3 months. :D
As they say, there is no harm in dreaming. It is free. Costs nothing. :D
6 x

mokibao
Orange Belt
Languages: Studying: way too many

Postby mokibao » Fri May 06, 2022 5:55 pm

You can absolutely pass the C2 exam in one year if you can already handle B2. Download some test samples, get some prep books and sit mock exams on your own until you're thoroughly familiar with the format. These exams are all kind of the same and once you know how they tick they become easier to nail down.

On the other hand, if you're talking about "C2-level" in the usual vague fashion that's invoked on LL communities to mean "really good, almost native", it'll take more than a year. But you probably already knew that
8 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Tue May 10, 2022 3:19 pm

Le Baron wrote:
STT44 wrote:Possible, if you are in full-time learning, all your waking hours, with no distraction whatsoever.

Possible to learn most of the content of the C2 course at any rate. Advanced 'fluency' is a time-based development though, not an exam-based one. And takes longer than a year.

I would argue that fluency requires a strong emotional and possibly legal connection with the language. Either you're connected to that language by blood, by nationality, by really strong love/friendship or similar.

Everything else cannot be considered fluency.
0 x

mokibao
Orange Belt
Languages: Studying: way too many

Postby mokibao » Wed May 11, 2022 8:53 am

LanguageLearner0007 wrote:I would argue that fluency requires a strong emotional and possibly legal connection with the language. Either you're connected to that language by blood, by nationality, by really strong love/friendship or similar.

Everything else cannot be considered fluency.

On the flip side you get this dude who passed the Italian C2: http://brianjx.altervista.org/

People want to know why I would spend so much time studying a language I don’t need. I do not work for an Italian company. I am not married to an Italian, I have no relatives in that country, I will not travel there any time soon, nor am I of Italian heritage. I’m not interested in opera, architecture, art, soccer, Formula 1, literature, religion, or history. I do like to eat. I have spent maybe 2 months total in Italy, and haven't been there at all since 1993.
6 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Wed May 11, 2022 10:32 am

As has been said so far, passing a C2 exam is not necessarily the same thing as being C2.

I would like to add a similar but different point: "complete fluency" is not the same as C2. To put it briefly, most native speakers of a language would not be able to pass a C2 exam in their language because it requires a professional and academic understanding of the language.
4 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Wed May 11, 2022 11:32 am

I'm not connected to Spanish by blood or nationality, yet I'm still an interpreter...
5 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”