Your study week for logging/reporting purposes

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!

What constitutes your study week for logging/reporting purposes?

Monday-Sunday or equivalent (starts with the work week and ends with the weekend)
49%
Sunday-Saturday or equivalent (starts on the last day of the weekend, ends on the first day of the weekend)
22%
Something else - please explain
30%

Total votes: 37

Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Re: Your study week for logging/reporting purposes

Postby Aloyse » Tue May 03, 2022 2:13 pm

Lisa wrote:The weekly italki tutor did push me to work harder, by letting me see what I was missing... but that actually lead to too many goals and too much time spent... I hate to have to admit it, but I do have to cap my language learning hours in order to keep my day job, manage my other activities, and also sleep.

Life is pesky this way. Why can't we have unlimited time, money and energy to pursue our hobbies?
Why? Why?

Some people say: “Do what you'll love, and you'll never work another day in your life.”
But what if I love my job and also 10 different languages or hobbies or fields of interest?
3 x
Future me already did it.

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Tue May 03, 2022 8:24 pm

My log updates here are sporadic but I log everything I do in a spreadsheet at home. I like to see how many hours I spend on reading, talking, grammar etc. It has become second nature and takes very little time. I categorize my activities and this helps me see what I should spend more or less time in the future.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Wed May 04, 2022 11:56 am

When I log, it's usually as I go. I used to be very active in 6 Week Challenges, and I liked seeing the numbers go up over the weeks. Same with the Super Challenge, I log things on my spreadsheet at the start, and update the page numbers or hours as I complete a session. When I actually complete something, I'll tweet it to the bot. There is a nice sense of completion with this sort of thing. Other than during the 6WC, I don't think I've ever kept a log of other activities completed, other than occasional mentions in my log on this forum.
3 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Mon May 09, 2022 9:55 pm

Sporadic and hectic. When I'm not working and alone, mostly.
1 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

Postby sporedandroid » Sun May 15, 2022 12:21 am

I just write in my log whenever I feel like it. I just write about general patterns I’ve seen or possible plans I might have. I tried keeping a journal to log how each study session went. Didn’t work out for me. A weekly journal didn’t work out as well. I just don’t like trying to write consistently in general. I only like writing when I feel like it. I use Polylogger to log my time. I like that it’s super easy to use. I’m still sort of lazy at it. It’s very easy to log listening, but it isn’t as easy to log reading. I’ve never really thought of logging by week because I just don’t have a very structured study routine. I sort of just use Anki as my bare minimum. It’s the only thing I’m really able to do consistently.
5 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Sat May 21, 2022 9:58 am

Aloyse wrote:
tractor wrote:I don't keep a log.

That's... radical. I'm going to assume that language learning is either a leisure activity or part of your job then?

It's just a leisure activity, but I didn't log my language learning at school or university either.

Aloyse wrote:Do you have any kind of activity that you log? (workouts maybe?).

Yes, I do log cardio workouts using my watch or bike computer. I log strength training workouts in an Excel document, but it's not very accurate because I've often forgotten the number of sets and reps and the weight when I come home, but it serves the purpose as it gives me a rough idea of how I'm progressing (or not progressing, most of the time...).
3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”