Your study week for logging/reporting purposes

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!

What constitutes your study week for logging/reporting purposes?

Monday-Sunday or equivalent (starts with the work week and ends with the weekend)
49%
Sunday-Saturday or equivalent (starts on the last day of the weekend, ends on the first day of the weekend)
22%
Something else - please explain
30%

Total votes: 37

Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Re: Your study week for logging/reporting purposes

Postby Aloyse » Sun May 01, 2022 3:22 pm

luke wrote:I don't have weekly or monthly goals. I have goals and they may take longer than anticipated, or surprise me and go faster than expected.

Well my weekly goals are usually "get back on track" or "prioritize this project" or "try this method" rather than a set number of pages or something.

luke wrote:notion of using the weekend to "catch up" or "finish" some weekly goal

I don't do it "on purpose"... ok maybe a little on purpose but it's mainly to avoid being too disappointed when I check what I did during the past week. I usually don't try to reach a specific amount of studying but I do try to make the most of my free time on the weekends - if I manage not to get lost in a reddit+youtube daze.
1 x
Future me already did it.

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Sun May 01, 2022 3:24 pm

Elsa Maria wrote:I consider Sunday as the start of my week, and I usually organize myself for the week on Sundays.

;)

Elsa Maria wrote:I use ATracker daily for recording my language studies and I use paper planners and/or Obsidian for everything else.
But I don't log here with any consistency. I might let months lapse or I might have a spurt of daily logging. I am more likely to keep a log when doing a 6WC.

Thanks for the details. I also like having a paper planner/logbook.
0 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Sun May 01, 2022 3:27 pm

tractor wrote:I don't keep a log.

That's... radical. I'm going to assume that language learning is either a leisure activity or part of your job then?
Do you have any kind of activity that you log? (workouts maybe?).
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun May 01, 2022 4:02 pm

Aloyse wrote:
tractor wrote:I don't keep a log.

That's... radical. I'm going to assume that language learning is either a leisure activity or part of your job then?
Do you have any kind of activity that you log? (workouts maybe?).

I don't log it either. I suspect there are more non-loggers than you'd think. :)
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Sun May 01, 2022 4:11 pm

Le Baron wrote:There is also the option of not scrambling to write a weekly log. It's possible you are more conscientious about this than I am (probably more organised too).

Maybe I exaggerated a little. I don't necessarily scramble every weekend. But I do like to see some activity in my logbook at the end of the week so... if there's nothing I feel disappointed and a little anxious.

Le Baron wrote:I might also even have a day off mid-week. Atrocious I know. :D

:mrgreen:
0 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Sun May 01, 2022 4:20 pm

Beli Tsar wrote:I log months instead. [...]
    1. Less wasted time logging.

True.

Beli Tsar wrote:
    2. My weekly workload is just too variable. Some weeks aren't worth logging; whether or not I'm making progress is clearer over a month.

I like the "starting over" feeling when I open a new page of my logbook for the new week. It's like whatever issues I had the previous week, it's in the past, now I can get back on track.

Beli Tsar wrote:
    3. If I logged here every week it would be very boring to read.

True, I mean some of my updates are just "too busy with work, let's do better next week". Although to be honest my study log on this forum is not limited to language learning topics, it's kind of a journal.

Beli Tsar wrote:
    4. It's much less obvious to others how lazy I am: my weekly totals would make that very clear

:lol: I used to have a study log on another forum where almost every week was "I failed all my goals and habits this week, I'm so lazy/disorganized/...".
Now I've learned to focus on reporting what I did manage to do, without spending too much time lamenting my failures. I hope so at least :P
3 x

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Postby BeaP » Sun May 01, 2022 4:21 pm

I don't log and I don't even plan. But I only study one language at a time (sometimes 2 for a short period). I always do what seems interesting or useful. My goal is usually to finish a textbook or a novel. Or just a unit, an exercise. When I tried to plan in advance, I regularly failed to meet my goals and this only made me frustrated. I honestly don't know how much free time I'll have. I try to do at least something each day, but I don't set myself anything I need to achieve. I know that being your own teacher from this point of view and giving yourself requirements can speed up the learning process, but it's not always compatible with the life of an adult.
6 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sun May 01, 2022 4:36 pm

My log isn't for accountability or recording pages, hours or minutes spent. I got into a habit of writing my log here on Thursdays, for no apparent reason other than it avoids the weekend and early weekdays.

One of the reasons for me having a log here is, as everyone knows, it's hard to discuss what we do with languages with friends and family who don't share our language-related interests. It's nice to be able to share what I do during a week, or a couple of weeks and sometimes I may come across something I want to share with the community that I've watched/listened to/read in the interim. I also occasionally get some interaction.

These days, since almost all of my languages are mature, I don't have as much to relate about them as I used to when I was more actively learning. This phase of slower learning continues to provide me insights I'd like to share. Learning still goes on... and always will.
15 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Sun May 01, 2022 4:58 pm

I used to log pretty viciously, if I remember correctly. But I only did it to keep myself on track with Spanish, since I'd somehow lost myself along the way with trying out other things, such as school, or work.

And then, again, somewhere along the way, I lost the stamina--or perhaps the need--to log everything in an exact manner and continued on my merry way with a more lackadaisical approach.

It's much better (for me) the way I do things now. Much like @iguanamon, I like the community here. I still like reporting my progress, but only if it's something substantial or noteworthy. Whether it is, is mostly up to my discretion. However, I still like letting people know how I'm doing or what's going on with me. I threaten to leave, but I'm never truly gone. I just fear not being relevant anymore.

In my "mini lecture" toward @rdearman the other day ( :lol: ), I mentioned intrinsic motivation. It's what keeps me coming back to language learning nowadays, whereas when I first joined the forum I struggled to keep daily habits and wondered if this all was worth it--despite really having enjoyed it before. The forum serves as kind of a "backup" for if I need a push sometimes, but I mostly had lift-off and am now orbiting and really reaching new heights, even if I don't study every day with a kind of schedule or anything.

Good thread! :)
14 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun May 01, 2022 5:26 pm

I tend to log on Sundays just becuase that's when I had time. But if something happens on Sunday and I can't, I just log whenever I can or feel like it. My "week" is basically whatever's happened between then and the last time I logged. I do find it helps me to talk about my thoughts and what I've done, though, in terms of staying consistent. So that's nice.
7 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”