Your study week for logging/reporting purposes

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!

What constitutes your study week for logging/reporting purposes?

Monday-Sunday or equivalent (starts with the work week and ends with the weekend)
49%
Sunday-Saturday or equivalent (starts on the last day of the weekend, ends on the first day of the weekend)
22%
Something else - please explain
30%

Total votes: 37

Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Your study week for logging/reporting purposes

Postby Aloyse » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:15 pm

My "study week" runs from Sunday morning to Saturday evening and it's been this way for several years now.

Yes, it's terribly un-French and un-European of me :mrgreen:
But the reason for this is not to copy the Americans, and I'm not using a calendar that starts on Sundays either. It's based on practical experience of what works for me.

You see, if my study(/workout/chores) week ends on Sunday evening, it means that on Saturday and Sunday (the weekend in my country, I don't work on those days) I'll scramble to do as many things as possible before the end of the week.
It also means that on Sunday evening (or possibly Monday) I'll have to scramble to log and report what I did during the week and try to sort out my goals for the next week. Then inevitably when the next weekend arrives and I look at what I did and what remains to be done, I'll feel the stress of having to do 70 to 90% of the tasks in the next two days.

By contrast, if my study(/workout/chores) week ends on Saturday evening, I'll only scramble to finish as many tasks as possible on Saturday. And then I have all day Sunday (if needed) to report/log/set up new goals and take a head start on the tasks for the next week. Less stress, less scrambling, more satisfaction.

What is your take on this? I put some options in the poll, assuming a 2-day weekend (but not necessarily on Saturday+Sunday) but if your schedule doesn't fit in this schema please comment.
6 x
Future me already did it.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: Your study week for logging/reporting purposes

Postby Le Baron » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:30 pm

Aloyse wrote:It also means that on Sunday evening (or possibly Monday) I'll have to scramble to log and report what I did during the week and try to sort out my goals for the next week.

There is also the option of not scrambling to write a weekly log. It's possible you are more conscientious about this than I am (probably more organised too).

That said I also run from Sunday morning to Saturday; though the Sunday is very lax and mostly or entirely pleasure reading right now. If I feel that I have nothing worth writing in a log in terms of 'logging' I just don't write it. I might also even have a day off mid-week. Atrocious I know. :D
6 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:21 pm

I log months instead. I keep track of the key metrics in a spreadsheet, as and when I do things, and then round it all up, check Anki stats, etc., at the end of the month.
The advantages, for me, are:

1. Less wasted time logging.
    2. My weekly workload is just too variable. Some weeks aren't worth logging; whether or not I'm making progress is clearer over a month.
    3. If I logged here every week it would be very boring to read.
    4. It's much less obvious to others how lazy I am: my weekly totals would make that very clear
8 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:48 pm

I don't keep a log.
4 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:10 pm

I consider Sunday as the start of my week, and I usually organize myself for the week on Sundays.

I use ATracker daily for recording my language studies and I use paper planners and/or Obsidian for everything else.
But I don't log here with any consistency. I might let months lapse or I might have a spurt of daily logging. I am more likely to keep a log when doing a 6WC.
5 x
Corrections are always welcome.

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:12 pm

Although I have a Monday through Friday job, I don't tie my studying or logging to the week. I study every day. I don't have weekly or monthly goals. I have goals and they may take longer than anticipated, or surprise me and go faster than expected.

I generally center my logging/reporting around some small accomplishment, such as finishing a unit of study, an audiobook, reading something I'd set my mind on, a small milestone, etc. I do sometimes make a log entry because I have ideas rolling that I want to capture or write down.

I like Aloyse's notion of using the weekend to "catch up" or "finish" some weekly goal. I often have ideas that I could make a lot of progress if I devoted a big chunk of the weekend to making a lot of progress on a specific goal, but I usually just keep the same study schedule and let the weekend have more social interaction and rest, which are both pleasant and important for overall health.
6 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun May 01, 2022 1:39 pm

I log when I log - 3 days seems too soon, 15 too long. So somewhere in the middle I’ll post whatever on going notes I have. I try to write to a future me or someone who barely knows me as an audience. I try to focus on thoughts around language learning and not just tasks.

I do like your consistency and I enjoy reading a few logs quite a bit. I subscribe to those and check them regularly even if I don’t comment on them.

I’d love to use the weekend to catch up but quite often it’s actually my down time or family time and I don’t study as steadily on weekends as I’d like.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sun May 01, 2022 2:00 pm

I don*t have a normal "weekly schedule" apart from weekly classes I attend. One of the reasons why I take them is actually to ensure a more continuos learning. I just try to engage regularly with my languages, that's it.
Otherwise I don't log minutes, pages or actually anything in form of numbers, despite the one Super Challenge I once did.
When I write in my log, it's just every now and then, when feel like I have actually anything to say.
4 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Sun May 01, 2022 3:12 pm

tiia wrote:I don*t have a normal "weekly schedule" apart from weekly classes I attend. One of the reasons why I take them is actually to ensure a more continuos learning. I just try to engage regularly with my languages, that's it.
Otherwise I don't log minutes, pages or actually anything in form of numbers, despite the one Super Challenge I once did.
When I write in my log, it's just every now and then, when feel like I have actually anything to say.

Thanks for your response. I also like having a weekly class, it's a relatively easy way to ensure regularity. I also don't log everything but when I have a long term project (like finishing a specific textbook, or working out) it gives me some satisfaction to note the sessions down in my logbook.
2 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Postby Aloyse » Sun May 01, 2022 3:16 pm

zenmonkey wrote:I log when I log - 3 days seems too soon, 15 too long.

I did that last year (wrt logging on this forum) but this year I've decided to engage more with other learners as part of my "gamification" experiment. It is true that some weeks I don't have much to report besides "I did overtime at work" but I find I do like reading other people's log as well and I usually do that before or after writing in my own log.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”