Audio sentences vs Without Audio sentences in Anki?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Re: Audio sentences vs Without Audio sentences in Anki?

Postby german2k01 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:21 pm

You have a valid point regarding selling language-related products by polyglots and entrepreneurs. And how good their product is in terms of quality. However, it was evaluated by a German native speaker and a German language tutor at that so that had played a key role in my decision-making process. And the price was not way near you spend on buying famous language products like Assimil, Pimsleur etc.
Let's give it a try and check whether audio sentences are superior to simple sentences. There is something about the sound that helps with sticking the language better in a subconscious mind. That's my takeaway lesson.
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:48 pm

german2k01 wrote:Let's give it a try and check whether audio sentences are superior to simple sentences. There is something about the sound that helps with sticking the language better in a subconscious mind. That's my takeaway lesson.

I don't think this is in question. Not for me anyway. I use audio sentences all the time.
2 x

german2k01
Green Belt

Postby german2k01 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:31 pm

I use audio sentences all the time.

How do you create them in every language you are trying to learn? Isn't it time consuming?
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:04 pm

german2k01 wrote:How do you create them in every language you are trying to learn? Isn't it time consuming?

I get them from elsewhere. I've used a lot of Glossika sentences and others I've created in small sets. The latter takes some time, but not a great deal. I don't start out by creating several thousand in one go (and won't need that many at the outset). It builds up incrementally and some I just retire when they're learned and in-use. Spending a Sunday afternoon doing that is worth it. I'm only really focusing on one language.
1 x

german2k01
Green Belt

Postby german2k01 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:30 pm

I've used a lot of Glossika sentences

Is the quality worth the cost? I mean, paying 25 dollars a month is not going to be cheap at all in the long run?
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:59 pm

german2k01 wrote:
I've used a lot of Glossika sentences

Is the quality worth the cost? I mean, paying 25 dollars a month is not going to be cheap at all in the long run?

I didn't pay for them. You can find anything on the internet. They also 'upgrade' a lot of their content so older stuff (with practically the same content, since languages don't change that quickly) is languishing all over the internet.

Even youtube has hour-long and three-hour long videos with thousands of these sentences, written and spoken, in all sorts of languages. Many from that 'X-language pod101' or others. It's open access. It's not really worth paying for this sort of stuff because it's everywhere.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”