The ODA: does it change each time you take it?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

The ODA: does it change each time you take it?

Postby Aloyse » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:03 pm

I mean, do they have a big number of texts for each level and select them randomly every time you take the assessment?
I'm asking because I took the Chinese reading test today and I think some of the texts (if not all) are the same as the previous time (in 2015).
So now I'm wondering whether the texts and questions are actually the same every time or not... in which case the results might not be valid if you try it often enough that you remember what the texts were about the previous time.
2 x
Future me already did it.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: The ODA: does it change each time you take it?

Postby rdearman » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:30 am

Aloyse wrote:I mean, do they have a big number of texts for each level and select them randomly every time you take the assessment?
I'm asking because I took the Chinese reading test today and I think some of the texts (if not all) are the same as the previous time (in 2015).
So now I'm wondering whether the texts and questions are actually the same every time or not... in which case the results might not be valid if you try it often enough that you remember what the texts were about the previous time.

I have taken the French one a couple of times. I think they cycle through a couple of versions. In theory, if you took it often enough you'd see all X versions of the questions. But I think they drop new questions into the cycle periodically also.
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Re: The ODA: does it change each time you take it?

Postby Aloyse » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:53 am

rdearman wrote:I have taken the French one a couple of times. I think they cycle through a couple of versions. In theory, if you took it often enough you'd see all X versions of the questions. But I think they drop new questions into the cycle periodically also.

Thanks. Well, that comforts me in my first instinct which was not to take it too often.
0 x
Future me already did it.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”