Intensive study

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
mark31
Languages: English

Intensive study

Postby mark31 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:18 pm

Let's take a person with a lot of free time, a lot of desire to study but a low level of English (let's assume A2). This person devotes 10 hours a day in a relaxed way to study and practice English. Once a week he takes a individual class with a teacher.
What level might he or she reach after 4 months?
Last edited by mark31 on Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Re: Intensive study

Postby BeaP » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:54 am

mark31 wrote:This person devotes 10 hours a day in a relaxed way to study and practice English.

For me the quoted part is a contradiction.

It depends on the following and some more: quality of the resources, language learning skills and experiment, ability to focus, self-discipline, mental state and lifestyle, whether or not the teacher is able to give guidance regarding the stuff done at home, what's the native language (German or Chinese - makes a huge difference).

B1 or B2. If someone says C1, I'll accept it as an opinion, but I have my doubts. Barely passing a C1 exam on the other hand might be possible under the most favourable circumstances.
5 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:57 am

10 hours a day? OK, if you are on holiday in a place and use the occasion for some immersive learning (=eavesdropping while sipping coffee or watching films) then maybe 10 hours listening to the local people might feasible - but at level A2 you would need to do something more concrete than seeping coffee, otherwise you will return home with very little progress on your scoreboard. And 10 hours intensive study a day at any level is definitely not something that could be qualified as relaxed. People on very intensive courses might be studying that number of hours for some time - maybe a week or two - but 10 hours of intensive study per day at home simply doesn't rhyme with 'relaxed'.

So forget about relaxed - call it 'frenzied'. That being said, 10 hours of study time per day for 4 months, partly with a teacher, should be enough to push you to a level where you can use your target language in practice. But since you felt that you had to ask the question in the first place I doubt that you are the ultra-obstinate kind of learner that can keep working hard for 10 hours a day for four months without opting out somewhere. If you had been determined and autonomous enough for that kind of schedule you would have started without asking.
6 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:15 pm

mark31 wrote:Let's take a person with a lot of free time, a lot of desire to study but a low level of English (let's assume A2). This person devotes 10 hours a day in a relaxed way to study and practice English. Once a week he takes a individual class with a teacher.
What level might she reach after 4 months?

Let's suppose Lampariello is the most accomplished polyglot alive. Here - from minute 20 - he describes what he might be able to achieve in three months starting from scratch under the most favourable conditions: the new language must be like Spanish is to him as an Italian: the easiest; living in the country with his girl-friend being a native speaker, 1o hours study time while being immersed the rest of the day, using his method.

https://www.facebook.com/lingosteve/vid ... 130315464/

Now compare to your candidate the major factor being the learner himself.
3 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:55 pm

Likely a solid B2. Assuming that at A2 the person has already had time for some of the neurophysiological adaptations to the sound set.
10*7 a week in not leisurely.
But 1200 hours will get the person to B2. C1 if they are an exceptionally good language learner but by then they would already know English.
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:56 pm

mark31 wrote:(...)Once a week he takes a individual class with a teacher.
What level might she reach after 4 months?

This looks like a bus driver riddle. Who is he and who is she?

On a serious note, I agree with the others that 10 hours per day is not "relaxed" by any definition. Unless the learner is spending entire days in a café, surrounded by the language, hoping to pick it up by "osmosis".
6 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:19 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:This looks like a bus driver riddle.

Unless the learner is spending entire days in a café, surrounded by the language, hoping to pick it up by "osmosis".

That's a good riddle.

BTW, if the learner is sitting in the café, they call it "assmosis".
2 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:23 pm

Iversen wrote:So forget about relaxed - call it 'frenzied'.

This made me laugh, because it's true. :lol:

I did 'intensive' German classes and it really was intensive. If I'd done that for 10 hours a day I'd likely have ended up on a psychiatric ward. On the other hand 10 hours of 'sorta' studying is probably a lot of time in the day not very well used. You don't really need to do 10 hours a day of study/practice. It's just exhausting. I could understand being immersed for as long as possible. If you're in a situation where the language is all around you part of that is done for you already. When you have to create the immersion its a bit harder.
2 x

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Postby german2k01 » Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:51 pm

B1 I am a bettor. His or her intensity will suffer somewhere around 2 months mark..... :D

Please keep us updated if his or her level turns out to be different.
3 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Postby Aloyse » Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:14 pm

It will probably depend on whether the learner has say German or Dutch or French as a first language, or Japanese or Chinese ?
Where's that reverse FSI list when you need it?
1 x
Future me already did it.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”