Italian exams

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Italian exams

Postby Cavesa » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:57 am

I really could do with some. Just some time management needed (so that I can prepare etc). Please, you awesome people with experience:

1.how much time it really takes to get the certificate after the exam?

2.any important difference between CILS/CELI/PLIDA? I am leaning towards just picking the one that will be held the closest to me and at the most useful date, but that might not be the only good criterion :-D
3 x

AroAro
Green Belt
Languages: • Native - Polish
• Certified - C1: French, Italian, Romanian; B2: English, German
• Estimate - B2: Russian; B1: Bulgarian
• Learning - Czech, Hebrew
• Dabbled in - eo, la, uk, sw, lt, oc
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... d80b60a5e9

Re: Italian exams

Postby AroAro » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:58 am

Disclaimer - I passed CELI3 exam in June 2011, so a lot of things may have changed... Anyway, the results of the exam were published 8 weeks after the exam and the certificate was ready to pick up in December (so 6 months' worth of wait for the certificate after the exam).

I have no idea what the differences are between various exams, I signed up for CELI because that was the only one offered by my local Italian Cultural Institute:)
3 x
corrections are welcome

CardiffGiant
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian(B2), English (N), Spanish(beg)

Postby CardiffGiant » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:23 pm

I did a fair amount of research on which exam to take, although I never did take the exam due to COVID. I had registered for the CILS exam, and I chose that one only because there seemed to be more study materials available including some pretty good guidebooks that walk you through exam preparation. I will say that the university that handled registration for the exam was not helpful at all in arranging for a credit. By the time that COVID calmed down a bit, I wanted to take a higher level because so much time had passed, and they would not agree to a credit for a different level, only for the original level that I intended to take(bizarre IMO). So if you need any sort of accomodation for an unforeseen circumstance, just know that you are taking a risk. The CELI is similar to the CILS, and I will probably take that one in the future. My two cents.
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:42 pm

Thank you! It is surprisingly hard to find such information.

Basically, the time till the certificate is my main worry, as I have no clue where I'll live in a few months, and when exactly I'll be moving.

To get the main value of the paper, the right to apply to italophone jobs in the Switzerland, I need just a B2. Which will be easy to prepare for no matter which exam I'll pick. I couldn't take it right away, but I could do it in a few weeks. I don't need a very high score, just a pass. Then I can slowly improve. I already have C1/C2 comprehension, so "just" the rest. And some Italian speaking friends already think very highly about my speaking, so I'd need a bit of improvement and review, nothing like my German marathon:-D

The exams are surprisingly hard to just find and sign up for, there are fewer testing centers and dates, which really removes any "this exam is better" kind of thinking for me. What I find, I'll take.
4 x

antstronaut
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (Advanced), Hungarian A0. Dabbling in Italian and Catalan

Postby antstronaut » Sun May 01, 2022 3:46 am

I saw this blog awhile back, if you are interested: http://brianjx.altervista.org/
How I Passed the Demanding, 5-Part, 5 1/2 Hour, Oral, Paper and Pen, Highest Level (C2), Italian Language Exam Without Going to Italy
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”