Active Study and Schedule

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Active Study and Schedule

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:17 pm

german2k01 wrote:Let's say if you want to be proficient in all three major skills such as listening, reading, and speaking.

If you have text + audio, you can listen, read and speak at the same time. Most of us can do those three simultaneously. From day 1 and onwards.
5 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:52 pm

german2k01 wrote:Hello Guys,

I have a query regarding what kinds of language tasks you follow when it comes to doing active study and how much time do you dedicate to it every day? And, what does your week schedule mainly consist of? There are so many language-related activities learners can follow over the course of a week. However, I am asking from getting more bang for your buck point of view. Let's say if you want to be proficient in all three major skills such as listening, reading, and speaking. Passive consumption of the language is excluded as you can do it anytime.

As an aside, why do you include active study in your language learning days? What benefits do you see in it for youself?

Thanks

ah active study,
by this wording, I only understand or assume that you implied visiting the country you would learn that country's languge well.
but...
I think without passive consumption it will again be almost impossible to ensure you reach advanced level. Because I know someone had lived in Turkey for long time ,but those Turkish was a bit bad (at least sure it was not advanced) because as I overviewed or observed they just lived in Turkey for long time. had had no language education or had not educated themself individually.

what benefit I see: (for my russian) , as I previously said , I think language work does not consist of just one work. It should also contain cultural conformity for some levels (Advanced-Excellent)
3 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:04 pm

Personally I find official course material a tad boring at times, but I do it because I know that, as BeaP said, it speeds things up. Going through these sorts of books/materials leads you to things far more quickly than you would encounter or observe them yourself simply by exposure. 'Noticing' is much easier when it has already been pointed out. I think this is fairly established psychological fact.

On any language I've ever tackled the first step is a course. After that I always have some course modules going on in the background. You get better at choosing the modules you need to supplement and focus upon as you get better. BeaP is right in that the CEFR levels (for languages using them) guide you to material that isn't going to waste your time by being too easy or too hard. And 'too hard' is as much an important consideration as too easy. Spending hours and hours over material that is too hard hoping that it will 'all come clear' at some point is a dispiriting affair.

Schedule though... I look at grammar points daily. Using stuff I've gleaned from reading and listening and specifically because the construction confused me. Clearing up these points clears the path for dozens of similar sentences that would just have just confused me in the same way. You can speed up your eureka moments.
6 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:31 pm

I try to do 30 minutes a day of language stuff, no matter what language(s) I'm working on at the time. And then, I follow Iguanamon's advice. Always. :)
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”