Cantonese Jyutping z/c sound confusion

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: Cantonese Jyutping z/c sound confusion

Postby Deinonysus » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:46 am

Axon wrote:
Deinonysus wrote: The original Middle Chinese palatals were not preserved in Mandarin, because they were merged with the retroflex series. I believe the new palatal series in Mandarin started out as a phonetic, not phonemic, distinction where the alveolars would become palatal before an i, but it became phonemic after the deletion of some i medials.

I think it would still be considered a phonetic difference since are no minimal pairs in Mandarin with only a palatal/non-palatal consonant distinction. The palatal series in Mandarin evolved from dental, velar, and glottal stops and fricatives all becoming palatal before high front vowels.

Thanks for the correction!
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

outcast
Blue Belt
Languages: ~
FLUENCY
Native: ENglish, ESpañol
Advanced: -
High Basic: DEutsch (rust), FRançais (rust), ZH中文
Basic: -
~
ACQUIRING
Formally: KO한국말, ITaliano, HI हिन्दी
Dabbling: HRvatski, GW粵語
Dormant: POrtuguês
~
Plan to learn: I BETTER NOT GO HERE FOR NOW
~

Postby outcast » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:37 am

Finally found one source that at least acknowledges the phenomenon. Gabriel Wyner (I think in this forum at least some know of him), notes that before back rounded vowels (IPA /y/ /oe/ /ɔ/), Jyutping z/c (IPA /ts/ unaspirated and aspirated), sound more like zh/ch to his ears (IPA /ʃ/). I would include /ʊ/ as well because in "China", zung1gwok3 (with /zʊng/), the "z" also sounds like some sort of /ʃ/. Since /ʊ/ is a front rounded vowel, this lends strong credence to Querneus percipient observation about young people democratizing this sound before all vowels with the apparent exceptions of the most open ones in Cantonese's vowel inventory (namely the "a" values). Which goes far beyond Wyner's assessment.

As I think I said earlier, to me they sound to be more a halfway between alveolar zh/ch and labiodental z/c. Wyner does point out what we have noticed here ourselves, that there is little literature there is out there about it, or probably more accurately, the materials insist on hanging on to the traditional but dated standard.

Fluent Forever Cantonese pronunciation Video 2 (@7:14):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy_KV0FXPTY
0 x
"I can speak wonderfully and clearly in zero languages, and can also fluently embarrass myself in half a dozen others."

The End of Language learning: 10 / 10000

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:32 am

outcast wrote:back rounded vowels (IPA /y/ /oe/ /ɔ/)

Aren't /y/ and /oe/ front vowels?
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”