Language learning and social engineering

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Re: Language learning and social engineering

Postby einzelne » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:48 pm

You stay single and celibate until you master all the languages you want. Otherwise you can easily find yourself in Hemon's situation:

I once broke up with a young woman who thought we had something serious going because, as I told her, I needed more time to read Shakespeare. The sex was fine, but King Lear was better.
4 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:07 pm

rdearman wrote:Having read all of this, I now have the feeling that my wife has "social engineered" me. First, she got me hooked on Korean Dramas during the lockdowns, and then suggested a trip to Korea for our anniversary. Then proposed we should learn some Korean. Now I'm learning Korean, and getting up a stupid-o-clock in the morning to do Korean lessons before work while she sleeps. :?

Proof she loves you.
4 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:24 pm

by zenmonkey » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:07 am
rdearman wrote:
Having read all of this, I now have the feeling that my wife has "social engineered" me. First, she got me hooked on Korean Dramas during the lockdowns, and then suggested a trip to Korea for our anniversary. Then proposed we should learn some Korean. Now I'm learning Korean, and getting up a stupid-o-clock in the morning to do Korean lessons before work while she sleeps. :?

Proof she loves you.
I truly believe that women are the real, expert Social Engineers and that men just don't get it. My wife is teaching me but I am a slow learner.
3 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:11 am

My husband has no interest in languages. More or less, it's important that we spend quality time together frequently on interests that we do share and my personal "unwind" time generally goes into languages and drawing. His goes to other stuff. We try and respect one another's solo interest time, be present and involved when it's time for our shared quality time, and we indulge one another when the other is talking about something we have no idea about.
7 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”