language reactor

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

language reactor

Postby Ccaesar » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:25 am

Hello everyone I am curious are you using this software, are you satisfied with it? Can you actually sign in? I have tried, since it looks very useful, but the devs seem to be ignoring those of us who can't get past the "please wait" screen. Did anyone else experience that?
1 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: language reactor

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:05 pm

Ccaesar wrote:Hello everyone I am curious are you using this software, are you satisfied with it? Can you actually sign in? I have tried, since it looks very useful, but the devs seem to be ignoring those of us who can't get past the "please wait" screen. Did anyone else experience that?

I just started looking at this tool - I'm very impressed. You can use it without signing in.
Download the chrome extension. Go to Netflix or YouTube. profit.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:01 pm

You don't need to sign-in, though the subscription gives you some perks like saving words/sentences for a more focused study and other things. Also, keep in mind that for now it only works on Google Chrome.

I'm currently using it for Korean without signing-in. It works great for me. Though there was a day about one or two weeks ago when I could not use the app at all. But it was already solved when I tried to use Language Reactor the next day.
0 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:07 pm

Is this that chrome only extension thing to get subtitles?
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:02 am

rdearman wrote:Is this that chrome only extension thing to get subtitles?

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 11.30.00.png

Subtitles, frequency list, saved words, card export...
It's very impressive. Easy to use.

Recommended!

But as usual - don't expect much for rare languages. But I tested it for German and Hebrew. Nice. Useless for Farsi.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:00 am

AndyMeg wrote:You don't need to sign-in, though the subscription gives you some perks like saving words/sentences for a more focused study and other things. Also, keep in mind that for now it only works on Google Chrome.

I'm currently using it for Korean without signing-in. It works great for me. Though there was a day about one or two weeks ago when I could not use the app at all. But it was already solved when I tried to use Language Reactor the next day.

Exactly why I want to be able to sign in :D it makes the "anki/flashcard/recall" phase easier. Making a step easier, means it gets attractive (Atomic habits) and that works for me :D
2 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

cito
Orange Belt
Languages: EN (N) //
FR LT ES
OE EL RU
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Postby cito » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:24 pm

I really like language reactor, but not only for how it integrates with either Netflix or Youtube. On their website they have the "TurtleTube" which is essentially a huuuuge list of graded youtube videos, with subtitles, for maybe 20+ languages, and they have recommendations elsewhere for Netflix shows and Youtube Channels as well.
4 x
50 French Books: 20 / 50
LLPSI-FA: 33 / 35
Greek ASSIMIL: 29 / 100
Russian ASSIMIL: 43 / 100
(On Pause)
Latin ASSIMIL: 29 / 101
Spanish ASSIMIL: 40 / 100

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:24 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
rdearman wrote:Is this that chrome only extension thing to get subtitles?

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 11.30.00.png

Subtitles, frequency list, saved words, card export...
It's very impressive. Easy to use.

Recommended!

But as usual - don't expect much for rare languages. But I tested it for German and Hebrew. Nice. Useless for Farsi.

Didn't really answer my question. Does this work for any web browser which isn't chromium based? :geek:
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

bem
White Belt
Languages: English (native), Japanese (learning)

Postby bem » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:48 pm

rdearman wrote:Didn't really answer my question. Does this work for any web browser which isn't chromium based? :geek:

Firefox support should be soon. See staged to go live section at https://forum.languagelearningwithnetfl ... pdated/331

But right this second, it's a chrome extension. I'm not even sure all the features are certain to work on all chromium browsers.

It used to be called Language Learning with Netflix (LLN).
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:01 pm

Ccaesar wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:You don't need to sign-in, though the subscription gives you some perks like saving words/sentences for a more focused study and other things. Also, keep in mind that for now it only works on Google Chrome.

Exactly why I want to be able to sign in :D it makes the "anki/flashcard/recall" phase easier. Making a step easier, means it gets attractive (Atomic habits) and that works for me :D

I don't make flashcards or use Anki. But I understand your point (and I think they'll have an integrated flashcards feature in the future). I hope you can sign-in soon and start enjoying all the perks ;)

By the way, I love the book "Atomic habits"! :D (in case you want to check it out, another book in a similar line is: "The Little Book of Talent: 52 Tips for Improving Your Skills" by Daniel Coyle. I love that book as well!)
2 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”