language reactor

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Re: language reactor

Postby Ccaesar » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:36 pm

Valddu wrote:Have you heard of Immerse with Migaku? It's a Chrome extension/Anki add-on that runs around 5 dollars a month and is very similar to Language Reactor in terms of functionality. However, the killer feature for me is the fact that it can record the native audio from Netflix and Youtube when you generate your cards instead of relying on TTS.

I've been working on developing my listening comprehension and I find this incredibly helpful. I'll watch shows in my target language and press a single button to create an audio sentence Anki card with the native audio, definitions of key words, a screenshot, and the translations. The next day I review the lines of dialogue that gave me trouble and can repeat them dozens of times until I can "hear" every word.

Having had more time to compare the two I see the merit!

Migaku has automated the card creation proces with content. Language reactor looks more fun and simple, however, I have grown tired of the "save function" as I manually have to open the given show to get the actual native audio and creating an anki set for it seems to be a bit of a hastle.

Could you give a review of migaku and show it in action? Does it work for more than just Japanese?
1 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:51 am

zenmonkey wrote:I've five different browsers (MacOS version of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Brave, and Edge) on this machine because some things only work with certain browsers.

Do you know if Language Reactor works with Brave? [When your suspicions confirm that your state premier is gathering ALL the digital information he can on his citizens (to look after their welfare of course) - it was printed on a major newspaper, front page, well one no longer feels like the sharing (without consent) type].

Edit:
I tried Language Reactor on Brave. It didn't work without my consent for some google plug in. Not being great with computer jargon I can't recall what it said now. Being privacy conscious, I should remember what it said. I guess this is where the public is taken advantage of - we all want results now, we want the new shiny and we want efficiency. Mix all that with (trained) sprinklings of apathy and increased busyness both on an upward trend and you've got me and most others sold on some new gizmo. So it seems Mr Premier has me cornered, he's going to know everything I watch now and in which languages. Dammit, I was trying to learn secret languages to crack secret government documents encoded by... ummm Shnipsy Shloppen-Top in the year 64992BC. This should be a great tool down the track to sink my brain cells into (if there remain any by that point). :lol:
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:59 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:I've five different browsers (MacOS version of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Brave, and Edge) on this machine because some things only work with certain browsers.

Do you know if Language Reactor works with Brave? [When your suspicions confirm that your state premier is gathering ALL the digital information he can on his citizens (to look after their welfare of course) - it was printed on a major newspaper, front page, well one no longer feels like the sharing (without consent) type].

Edit:
I tried Language Reactor on Brave. It didn't work without my consent for some google plug in. Not being great with computer jargon I can't recall what it said now. Being privacy conscious, I should remember what it said. I guess this is where the public is taken advantage of - we all want results now, we want the new shiny and we want efficiency. Mix all that with (trained) sprinklings of apathy and increased busyness both on an upward trend and you've got me and most others sold on some new gizmo. So it seems Mr Premier has me cornered, he's going to know everything I watch now and in which languages. Dammit, I was trying to learn secret languages to crack secret government documents encoded by... ummm Shnipsy Shloppen-Top in the year 64992BC. This should be a great tool down the track to sink my brain cells into (if there remain any by that point). :lol:

Language Reactor works on Brave.

The LanguageReactor plug-in (it's called a Chrome plug-in) needs to be installed. This is the actual piece of software that has all the Language Reactor functionalities. It's the program that shows the subtitles, that manages the vocab, that manages the stop/go function.

If you are concerned about privacy, can do this in a private window (with Tor) if you really don't want people to see what you're learning.

I'm not sure why this is a realistic concern, in this case. What entertainment content you view on YouTube and Netflix is likelier to be of interest to businesses selling stuff that your Premier. Private browser takes care of that.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:35 am

zenmonkey wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

Edit:

Language Reactor works on Brave.

The LanguageReactor plug-in (it's called a Chrome plug-in) needs to be installed. This is the actual piece of software that has all the Language Reactor functionalities. It's the program that shows the subtitles, that manages the vocab, that manages the stop/go function.

If you are concerned about privacy, can do this in a private window (with Tor) if you really don't want people to see what you're learning.

Hey zenmonkey,

Thanks for sharing those details, that's useful info.

zenmonkey wrote:I'm not sure why this is a realistic concern, in this case. What entertainment content you view on YouTube and Netflix is likelier to be of interest to businesses selling stuff that your Premier. Private browser takes care of that.

This reminds of the I've got nothing to hide arguments with regards to revelations of widespread surveillance going on across general populations of country X, Y, AND Z. Pfft, I've got nothing to hide, so nothing to worry about....

Information is power, even seemingly mundane unimportant Mr Nobody's information. All the information from all the Mr or Ms Nobody's out there grouped together makes for a powerful feedback system, but hey, what use would that be (aside from marketing something at me)? And who would want that information in today's transparent, democratic societies? Nah, no-one that I can think of. Never mind me, I'll go back to my social media and Netflix (all honestly quite entertaining tools mind you).

And sure, my thoughts so far could be valid from your angle to a certain extent, but for something like using Netflix? Thing is, where do you draw the line? I'd rather none of my information was shared, but for that I need to walk into the bush and not come back... uh, no thanks. The next best thing, is less of it when I feel I can and I'm not the best about it - I've only started using brave perhaps 6 months back, and I keep reminding myself of security now and again while online, and yet, here I am sharing ;)

To steer this back on topic (I went off in that direction), I had a mess about with Language Reactor today with Netflix. It does indeed seem like quite a useful tool. I'll certainly try it out some time in due course. There's even a small amount (compared to French, Spanish etc) of Norwegian content that would keep me busy for a good while.

Someone in this thread metioned Migaku and I took a look at that too. I must admit, even for me, a flashcard non-enthusiast (but never say never again, right?), the flashcard system of Migaku sounds appealing. They just seem to offer a handful of main languages however, not offering Norwegian or Dutch for example.
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:45 pm

It doesn't help that quite a lot of people e.g. on YouTube, use their actual names on there; click on ads; post personal information; use an email address that is their actual personal e-mail; leave all cookies and tracking open so they can have easy instant logins. Its like they want to create an easy digital footprint to follow. The answer is to not do those things. I have an ad-blocker and uBlockOrigin running. The cookies set to clear and not accept 3rd party cookies without consent, Social media trackers, cross-site and tracking cookies in every window, craptocurrency miners, fingerprint and keylog sensors. It means I have to jump through hoops to access things, but I like it that way.

The rest of the information gathering, because some goes on under the rader, I can do little about; but the only alternative is to not use the internet.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:41 pm

Le Baron wrote:It doesn't help that quite a lot of people e.g. on YouTube, use their actual names on there; click on ads; post personal information; use an email address that is their actual personal e-mail; leave all cookies and tracking open so they can have easy instant logins. Its like they want to create an easy digital footprint to follow. The answer is to not do those things. I have an ad-blocker and uBlockOrigin running. The cookies set to clear and not accept 3rd party cookies without consent, Social media trackers, cross-site and tracking cookies in every window, craptocurrency miners, fingerprint and keylog sensors. It means I have to jump through hoops to access things, but I like it that way.

Sounds wise to me.

Le Baron wrote:The rest of the information gathering, because some goes on under the rader, I can do little about; but the only alternative is to not use the internet.

Yep. And although I've considered it at times, I most likely won't opt for that option.

So if I disappear some day from these parts, I've either decided against the conclusion of my current but at that yet to be revealed future time, previous self's calculations on my future self's 'moves' or I've been assasinated hit by a feather-weight non-motorised scooter owned by an under average weight and height 5 year old.

The scooter, or 'trottinette' if you will, will be parked by a hedge at the future time of the incident and unattended, but will be summarised in social media as a 'big truck' for editing for space purposes. The obituary could read 'he thought he knew a lot stuff, but mostly he was just pesky'.
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:52 pm

You're not plotting a Reggie Perrin are you?
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”