language reactor

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: language reactor

Postby Kraut » Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:03 pm

https://oaprograms.github.io/lingo-player/

LingoPlayer is the forerunner, but now stripped of the " translate the subtitles" function. But if you have subtitles with your film , you can have them translated (with Deepl!) here: https://subtitlestranslator.com/en/ and use them in LingoPlayer

----

For Firefox use

https://easysubs.co/
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:37 am

rdearman wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:
rdearman wrote:Is this that chrome only extension thing to get subtitles?

Subtitles, frequency list, saved words, card export...
It's very impressive. Easy to use.

Recommended!

But as usual - don't expect much for rare languages. But I tested it for German and Hebrew. Nice. Useless for Farsi.

Didn't really answer my question. Does this work for any web browser which isn't chromium based? :geek:

Just checked again, as of now:

Screenshot 2022-03-27 at 18.36.12.png

But it is soooo good, it's worth installing a browser even if you only use it for this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:51 am

zenmonkey wrote:But it is soooo good, it's worth installing a browser even if you only use it for this.

There is nothing on this earth which would make installation of Edge on any computer I own worth it. Other browsers eclipsed Chrome for speed, performance, privacy and/or security ages ago, and there’s no need to stick with something that’s so bloated and slow if you don’t have to.
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:20 pm

rdearman wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:But it is soooo good, it's worth installing a browser even if you only use it for this.

There is nothing on this earth which would make installation of Edge on any computer I own worth it. Other browsers eclipsed Chrome for speed, performance, privacy and/or security ages ago, and there’s no need to stick with something that’s so bloated and slow if you don’t have to.

Edge isn't offered ("coming soon" notwithstanding...)

I've five different browsers (MacOS version of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Brave, and Edge) on this machine because some things only work with certain browsers. Or often I need two up to test client/server configurations. I've yet to see a browser that fully satisfies me.

Having said that - Language Reactor + Chrome is still really impressive. And speed, etc... aren't an issue for this use.

Curious, what's your browser of choice?

BTW, I hated Edge but the recent rebuild makes it an ok browser.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:43 pm

Firefox has an interesting function already: importing an MP4 video file that you may have on your hard disk together with an SRT file with subtitles. I can make these from any video that I record via satellite TV.
------
Language Reactor now offers example sentences from Tatoeba with translations
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:55 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
rdearman wrote:

Edge isn't offered ("coming soon" notwithstanding...)

I've five different browsers (MacOS version of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Brave, and Edge) on this machine because some things only work with certain browsers. Or often I need two up to test client/server configurations. I've yet to see a browser that fully satisfies me.

Having said that - Language Reactor + Chrome is still really impressive. And speed, etc... aren't an issue for this use.

Curious, what's your browser of choice?

BTW, I hated Edge but the recent rebuild makes it an ok browser.

Firefox.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

german2k01
Green Belt
Languages: English, Urdu, and German

Postby german2k01 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:04 pm

The option of downloading subtitles in a bilingual format is no longer free in a language reactor? I was able to do it previously for a few German movies but right now I think I need to sign up for a premium account, right?
:(
0 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:36 pm

Weird, I got no updates from this thread :D anyhow, I am finally able to sign in and have been using the premium perks. Mostly I have revisited my saved phrases/words from the source (the netflix show) and tried to shadow along until I get it as close to right, as I can. This seems like a pretty straight forward way to use it, without requiring me to do much else than practice the language. I am looking forward to seeing the flash cards function. As of yet I have not tried exporting it to anki, but it is an option.
2 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Valddu
White Belt
Languages: Spanish (C1)
English (N)

Postby Valddu » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:24 am

Have you heard of Immerse with Migaku? It's a Chrome extension/Anki add-on that runs around 5 dollars a month and is very similar to Language Reactor in terms of functionality. However, the killer feature for me is the fact that it can record the native audio from Netflix and Youtube when you generate your cards instead of relying on TTS.

I've been working on developing my listening comprehension and I find this incredibly helpful. I'll watch shows in my target language and press a single button to create an audio sentence Anki card with the native audio, definitions of key words, a screenshot, and the translations. The next day I review the lines of dialogue that gave me trouble and can repeat them dozens of times until I can "hear" every word.
1 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:47 am

Firefox support has been "coming soon" for at least a year, from what I remember. Certainly since back when it was called Language Learning with Netflix and before it supported YouTube. I'm not holding out for it. I keep Chrome around as a necessary evil because a few things just don't work on Firefox (especially on Linux; a few sites work fine on FF on Windows and Mac but only Chrome on Linux) and that's one of them. Language Reactor is such a useful resource that I don't really mind having to use a different browser for it, although the fact that FF support seems to be stuck at the bottom of their backlog does make me lose a little confidence in the team.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”