How do you measure your progress in your TL?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Re: How do you measure your progress in your TL?

Postby einzelne » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:01 pm

The higher you climb, the harder it becomes to see any progress at all. Better not to be obsessed about progress at all — you will quickly loose all motivation. Rather, concentrate on the process itself.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:29 pm

german2k01 wrote:
tractor wrote:My simple answer is that I don’t measure my progress.

So how do you decide to select content which is more appropriate for your current level?

When I start a new language I use beginner materials. I gradually move on to more advanced resources as I progress.

If I try to read or listen to something, I quickly notice if it is way too difficult for my current level.
3 x

alaart
Green Belt
Languages: DE (N), EN
B1: NL, JP, PT (BR), ZH
A2: KR
A1: ES
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=10867

Postby alaart » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:44 pm

I wanted to say that I don't measure myself. But that's actually not true, I have internal goals that I use for a rough measurement.

Speaking goals:
Have a broken conversation, so that you can be understood with help from a patient person.
Have a conversation, where you can describe the things you can not say in your target language.
Have a fluent conversation with one person.
Have a fluent group conversation.

Listening goals:
Be able to follow a film / show / video with subtitles in the target language, pausing and a dictionary.
Be able to follow a film / show / video without stopping too much, and just enjoying it.

Sometimes I have language specific goals:
In Portuguese I wanted to understand the lyrics of the songs of João Gilberto, and in Japanese of Sheena Ringo.
In Chinese I'd like to understand video material about the classical instrument Guzheng, and about Chinese chess Xiangqi.
Sometimes I have a friend in a target language that I want to understand better.

So basically I have a goal, and when I reach it I have a feeling of progress.
7 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”