(Mandrin-) English: (首席) Apprentice

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

(Mandrin-) English: (首席) Apprentice

Postby allf100 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:00 am

Hello,

I was watching the videos of a singing competittion programme which is mostly for bel canto and muscial. It was hosted in China.

There were 36 artists who were running for six 首席, which literally means First Chair. I would interpret the Chinese word as 'leading star' in an opera or musical.

The winners or the best singers were chosen to sit in the area where were stated as '首席/ Apprentice'. There were no other literal context for 首席/ Apprentice.

Question:

i don't understand why the programme translated 首席 as 'apprentice' which an online dictionary defines. I don't think any entries fit the Chinese word. Would someone please explain?

Thank you for your reading!

ap·pren·tice (ə-prĕn′tĭs)
n.
1. One bound by legal agreement to work for another for a specific amount of time in return for instruction in a trade, art, or business.
2. One who is learning a trade or occupation, especially as a member of a labor union.
3. A beginner; a learner.

Source: thefreedictionary
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/apprentice
0 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Re: (Mandrin-) English: (首席) Apprentice

Postby 白田龍 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:32 am

it seems they don't mean it as a translation but sth like "首席 in training".

https://www.163.com/dy/article/ETJ1AE3Q0534AJX3.html
2 x

allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

Re: (Mandrin-) English: (首席) Apprentice

Postby allf100 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:33 pm

白田龍 wrote:it seems they don't mean it as a translation but sth like "首席 in training".

https://www.163.com/dy/article/ETJ1AE3Q0534AJX3.html

I searched relevant info in Chinese by myself too before creating this thread. It seemed some of the Chinese audience included me have been bewidered by the English translation too.

I wouldn't say this is a programme for choosing ‘首席’ top in TRAINING as the programme didn't provide the winners with any formal training, but mostly a TV entertainment. Some of the competitors are top singers in their areas of either opera or musical, and they are already very professional, even top 3 in China. For examples, Zhang Yingxi who is one of the top 3 tenors in China works for National Centre for the Performing Arts. He had cooperated with worldwide top musicans i.e. Lorin Maazel.

Previously I had thought probably it was my English that failed to understand the translation, so I asked for help here.

Now I realise probably it was how the producers of the programme how to define 'apprentice' vs '首席' .

Thank you very much for your help.

I've read the thread you provided with me again and again, and think it makes some sense.
0 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”