GLOSSIKA: FULL (critical) REVIEW

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

GLOSSIKA: FULL (critical) REVIEW

Postby Kraut » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:10 am

GLOSSIKA: FULL REVIEW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rNjW_R9B5I&t=1s

Days of French 'n' Swedish

This is a completely NON SPONSORED review of GLOSSIKA language learning program GLOSSIKA.

There are lots of contributions in the comment section, you have to scroll down to the very bottom of the page.
Last edited by Kraut on Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Monty
White Belt
Languages: ...

Re: GLOSSIKA: FULL (critical) REVIEW

Postby Monty » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:35 am

"It will put some people off that Glossika is a website and not an app."

"While app makers have to keep up with the latest Android or iPhone updates, Glossika is saving money because they just have to keep the website running."

I don't need to listen to the rest of this BS.
3 x

SpanishInput
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), Mandarin (HSK 5)

Postby SpanishInput » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:07 pm

It can actually be hard to find reviews without affiliate links. Not just of language learning programs, but of anything. There's one particular language learning program, which I will not mention, for which every single review I've found contains an affiliate link, so it's impossible to find a truly critical review. I'd love to watch "Brutally honest" reviews of popular language courses, made by native speakers who could comment on how the course is teaching you artificial phrases and omits common word and phrases.

BTW, I did check out Glossika in the past, but just could not understand what the advantage of it is vs. simply collecting sentences on your own.
9 x

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Postby BeaP » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:44 pm

SpanishInput wrote:I'd love to watch "Brutally honest" reviews of popular language courses, made by native speakers who could comment on how the course is teaching you artificial phrases and omits common word and phrases.

I've thought about this as well, especially after reading some pages from a Hungarian textbook with my husband, and rolling with laughter for 30 minutes. I admit that I became really worried after that experience, and questioned everything I'd learned up to that point. But later I thought that maybe I was too critical. I can't believe that all textbook writers are simpletons or low-level non-native speakers of the language. Maybe the acquisition of certain structures is more important at the beginning levels. After that you'll use authentic materials anyway (CEFR coursebooks are already loaded with them), and you'll polish your style to something less artificial. Hopefully.
6 x

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Postby Jean-Luc » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:28 pm

SpanishInput wrote:It can actually be hard to find reviews without affiliate links. Not just of language learning programs, but of anything. There's one particular language learning program, which I will not mention, for which every single review I've found contains an affiliate link, so it's impossible to find a truly critical review.

This is so true. Most of the reviews can't be honest in order to get some "benefits". Worst, many of the review have as a unique goal to get money! Some are made only to get a nice ranking on Google with a pack of keywords but no real articles. The trick is to write about the most seen apps on internet like Babbel (huge ads budget helps) as the Google algorithm is attracted by "mainstream things" like "top tens"....

I run a blog of language learning apps reviews (with hundreds of them but in French...). No ads, no affiliate links or free stuffs, but today anything has to be monetized...
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:01 pm

I liked Glossika previously. But once they've gone subscription, I stopped. Thankfully, I downloaded all my Glossika before they went that route. So I still have my Serbian, Spanish, Lithuanian and Latvian.
5 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:01 pm

BeaP wrote:
SpanishInput wrote:I'd love to watch "Brutally honest" reviews of popular language courses, made by native speakers who could comment on how the course is teaching you artificial phrases and omits common word and phrases.

I've thought about this as well, especially after reading some pages from a Hungarian textbook with my husband, and rolling with laughter for 30 minutes. I admit that I became really worried after that experience, and questioned everything I'd learned up to that point. But later I thought that maybe I was too critical. I can't believe that all textbook writers are simpletons or low-level non-native speakers of the language. Maybe the acquisition of certain structures is more important at the beginning levels. After that you'll use authentic materials anyway (CEFR coursebooks are already loaded with them), and you'll polish your style to something less artificial. Hopefully.

Correct. Not all learning materials are meant to be phrasebooks. Certain structures are also important, no matter how abstract, at the early stages of learning.

Luckily, one can use both a phrasebook and a grammar method (as advocated for by people like Barry Farber & Moses McCormick). Anyone who thinks any single source is sufficient for full mastery of a language is falling for a marketing gimmick. It is well established that you need to use multiple resources. So if a course is omitting too many "common words and phrases" in lieu of grammatical explanations then...you can get those from a phrasebook, tutor, conversation, TV, immersion, etc.
2 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:39 pm

Second Part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EIV6Uk-UEw

Does Glossika Actually Work?
Can Glossika make you fluent in a foreign language? In this video I answer whether Glossika can get you speaking a foreign language fluently. All of the things listed below can be of benefit to you as well as helping me make better language learning videos. You're awesome, thank you.
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:47 am

https://discoverdiscomfort.com/glossika ... rning-app/

Glossika Review — The Best, But Not the Only

Updated onNovember 19, 2021

This is our full Glossika review updated for 2021 — one of the few language learning apps we think you need — but it’s not the only one you need.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”