What is more faithful?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!

What is more faithful to the original?

Foreign Language subtitles
29%
Foreign Language audio track
18%
I use both
29%
I use neither
No votes
I mix it up
24%

Total votes: 17

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

What is more faithful?

Postby luke » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:35 pm

Foreign language subtitles often don't match the foreign language audio track.

Foreign Language subtitles is closer in matching the meaning
Foreign Language audio track is closer
I use both (sometimes subtitles and audio don't match - I make my opinion of which is better in my choice of the first 2 poll options)
I use neither
I mix it up (audio and subtitles are not in the same language)

What do you find more faithful?
Last edited by luke on Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Re: What is more faithful?

Postby jmar257 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:48 pm

I really like having both, I don't know I can say what's more faithful on average as I don't watch a ton of TV. I have been watching Squid Game in Spanish and the subs and voiceover definitely do not line up, sometimes it's small things like using tu forms in one with usted in another, sometimes it's whole sentences that are different (without the meaning of the moment necessarily changing). Luckily my Spanish is good enough that as long as the accent isn't tough (looking at you, Potro from Club de Cuervos) I just ignore the subs and listen. Mostly I watch stuff natively in Spanish or French so when the subs don't match the audio is obviously more faithful, as it's what the actor/actress actually said. For Squid Game, well, I don't speak Korean.

Seriously though, why not have the same translation team do both?
2 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:30 pm

I mix it up. The audio is clearly the most faithful, right? The subtitles are for the audio, not the other way around. The subs tend to be 'abridged' when the dialogue is wordy or many people are speaking in succession otherwise they'd never fit onto the screen! So if one wants to know what the people in a film are saying, you need the audio and to be able to comprehend it. If you want to know what they mean, you can rely on the subtitles when there's a listening gap.

I've done both many times when necessary. In fact since TV in particular became strange and mumbly, I've even used subtitles to watch things in my native language. I'll bet I'm not alone in that.
4 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:52 am

Nowadays, when the original producers oversee the dubbing in multiple languages, both the dub and the subs tend to be very accurate.

Independent dubbing studios doing only one language take more liberties in re-writing the text.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:26 pm

Le Baron wrote:I've even used subtitles to watch things in my native language. I'll bet I'm not alone in that.

Yep, you're not alone. But only once for me. An Australian flic, which without subs would have been incomprehensible for me, an English speaker from the USA.
So far as I could tell, the subs were accurate. ;)
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”