Location Independent Work for Language and Cultural Experiences

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Location Independent Work for Language and Cultural Experiences

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:09 pm

So...

What examples of location independent work do you know of or have personal experience with that would enable a wannabee traveller and language learning buff travel abroad while working and gain cultural and language learning experiences?

My personal situation
Despite no attempts whatsoever and after many years of commitment to various other things in life, a time machine has not fallen into my lap out of nowhere and nor has my future self sent me one from the future. Thus, I must solve this 'problem' the good old fashioned way....

I've been trying to live in Europe since I was a teenager. I had no clue how to do this. I wanted to do an exchange to another country. It didn't happen. On my first trip to Europe in my early 20s I turned up with suitcases and French language learning content with a small background in French learning. I dreamt of getting a job and living abroad there. I was dreaming. I went back home a few weeks later. I had no clue of how to market myself, I had no skills and I was completely naïve. I had barely worked a day in Australia. In my 30s I managed to live abroad with my wife for almost a year in Europe (predominantly in the Netherlands) thanks to her know-how in part (I was still naïve, we still had things to learn), but didn't get into nursing (which is what I had now a qualification in back in Australia) due to insufficient language skills. My overall maturity, experience and skills were much better including my foreign language skills, but I still needed much improvement... 

On returning to Australia we made the decision that if we returned to Europe our language skills must be at least B2 and to find work before leaving the country. I achieved the language level a few years back with French. I continue to improve my French and expect I will pass a C1 and then a C2 in the near-ish future. I could be wrong, but this is what I anticipate given the time I'm putting into this now. 

A planned move to Saudi Arabia fell through a few years back which was to springboard us to Europe afterwards... French and Dutch have become family languages and pre-Covid we hoped to move to Belgium (as Saudi fell through) for perhaps a year, perhaps a few years. I spoke with a recruiting agency in Belgium and things were looking very possible. It was later than hoped but it was going to happen. 

Then Covid. We opted to move away from the city and go for a safe option by getting onto land in the countryside between our two families. Now I'm laden in debt (like most ppl), our family is attached to our land (so we can't necessarily sell), thus I cannot leave the land due to 'running costs'. How do I get to Europe then? I'm now in my mid 40s and it feels like this has become a mid-life crisis due to the dreams never completely coming to fruition. 

I'm looking at a masters in translation and interpreting or just translation. I was actually planning to do this and then work in Belgium as a nurse for a year (for the French nursing experience in the field) and then complete another year in France as a double masters option. This is no longer possible due to being 'stuck' (Covid, debt etc), but I can of course complete the studies here in Australia.

My thinking has been that I 'marry' my nursing background with the masters and seek work in translation/interpreting with a medical 'lean'. What are your thoughts? Is there a better option for location independent work? IT? Become a doctor? Retrain as an engineer? Give up? Website design? Teaching? Throwing cats at packs of mice? Altering my genetics? Physical shadowing (cloning myself so that I can exist on two continents at once)?

Side notes
Perhaps fear has held me back, perhaps naivety, distractions, insufficient funds, spiritual path not destined for Europe? 

Glossary of Terms
And = and/And
The = The
Australia = Great Southern Land
Me = Fool

Another Side Note
I basically need location independent work that I can do here in Australia or anywhere else, pay all my bills and learn languages.

Glossary of Terms (2)
Another Side Note
I basically need location independent work that I can do here in Australia or anywhere else, pay all my bills and learn languages.
= Win Lotto
9 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Location Independent Work for Language and Cultural Experiences

Postby iguanamon » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:27 pm

The only thing I can think of is something to dovetail with your nursing experience, perhaps doing paperwork overnight (taking advantage of the time difference with French-speaking Europe) or even some sort of telehealth- again leveraging your medical skills, and your time zone differential.

The cloning option is troubling. Can the world handle two PM's?! Would the magnetic poles flip?! Or worse?!
4 x

Monty
White Belt
Languages: ...

Postby Monty » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:48 pm

Translation is indeed a location-independent profession, but the pay is shit and constantly decreasing - unless you get qualification like Dip Trans. To get to a stage where you're making enough money to support your family would take 3-4 years.
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:57 am

iguanamon wrote:The only thing I can think of is something to dovetail with your nursing experience, perhaps doing paperwork overnight (taking advantage of the time difference with French-speaking Europe) or even some sort of telehealth- again leveraging your medical skills, and your time zone differential.

The cloning option is troubling. Can the world handle two PM's?! Would the magnetic poles flip?! Or worse?!

I think you'd find that were I cloned there's no trusting that 'the other one' would go along with my plans. I wouldn't be surprised if he went off on some other mission - like taking 13 musical instruments to C2 level in 13 months (and passing the C2 exams for those instruments - because those exams, exist, really... like maybe), or inventing a time machine or something. None of this kind of thing would help me. I think the world could handle the other PM, but not me.

The time zone leveraging idea is not too bad, but I'm just not sure what the gaps are out there in the world. Guess I don't know without looking. This call's for some investigation-ing. A third PM! The third one could do the serious investigationing, the second can remain here in AU and i'll head off for adventures. Done!
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:03 am

Monty wrote:Translation is indeed a location-independent profession, but the pay is shit and constantly decreasing - unless you get qualification like Dip Trans. To get to a stage where you're making enough money to support your family would take 3-4 years.

3-4 years is better than never. I have heard the pay is crapsteaks. Why am I doomed, I ask? Why!!!??? :lol: PM you're a joke, get your face off, like for realz. Sorry, high on sugar here (when you're in the midst of a mid-life crisis and you're not into alcohol, chocolate takes its place!)

Monty have you got any more info to flesh out your above reply?
3 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:23 am

You need my bookmark: How To Work As An Online Language Translator

Tell me if it's worth spending 5 mins of my life reading it.
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Monty
White Belt
Languages: ...

Postby Monty » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:41 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Monty wrote:Monty have you got any more info to flesh out your above reply?

Not much other than definitely look at getting Dip Trans certified. It's hard as hell, but worth it. I've cleared two units of German to English in my first attempt. I was sure I'd clear all 3 units but the bastards failed me on what I consider a small technicality.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:43 am

My sister is a clinical research professional, she coordinates clinical trials for compliance with sponsor and regulatory requirements. She works from home and has done for a number of years. Although she works in the USA, I'm sure there is an equivalent system in Australia which would allow you to do remote work similar to this.

I would recommend something like this instead of translations. She earns fantastic money and there is very little competition as compared to translations. I think you'd be able to leverage your medical knowledge more than the language knowledge. You might have to bone up on EU medical regulations if you wanted to work in French for an EU country, but that could be a good stepping stone.

I suspect Big Pharma would be a better route to Europe than languages.
10 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:23 am

smallwhite wrote:You need my bookmark: How To Work As An Online Language Translator

Tell me if it's worth spending 5 mins of my life reading it.

If you're curious about translation then it's worth a read. Thanks for sharing, smallwhite. Hope you are well!
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:27 am

Monty wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Monty wrote:Monty have you got any more info to flesh out your above reply?

Not much other than definitely look at getting Dip Trans certified. It's hard as hell, but worth it. I've cleared two units of German to English in my first attempt. I was sure I'd clear all 3 units but the bastards failed me on what I consider a small technicality.

So you're referring to a 'Diploma of Translation', I take it? How long is this Dip? Who are you doing it through? Online or on campus? What lead you to want to undertake the study? Why is it so tough?
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”