Latin based word Creation

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Shabes
Languages: English

Latin based word Creation

Postby Shabes » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:36 pm

Hello, I want to create a word. This word would be an English noun, and based on Latin.

The meaning of the word would be an object which limits your sense of knowing/perceiving the world to 5. Mainly 5 senses. Imagine that you have a helmet on, and this helmet limits you to our 5 senses, but if you were to take that helmet off you would be able to perceive and understand the world in more ways than the 5 we currently have, what would I call this helmet?

The letter Q needs some love in the English language and I really like Quin as the prefix. Limit, from what I found online would be 'tin' or 'tent'. Knowing would be 'sci'.

Separately, what suffix do I use in latin to create a noun? So if I wanted the word to be 'Quinscitent' how would I make it a noun?

Apologies for being a noob.
Dear internet, we who are about to die, salute you.
Last edited by Shabes on Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Latin based word Creation

Postby Iversen » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:54 pm

Quinscientia or Quinsensibilitas, the latter with more emphasis on the senses than on what you can do it inside your head. As far as I know both words are neologisms. There is however an existing word, sensualitas, which according to my Langenscheidt means "Empfindsamkeit, Sinnlichkeit", and it could conceivably be popped up to Quinsensualitas. Adding a limiting factor would be overkill.

Or in English: quinsensuality - it might be more idiomatic to built the English word on "sensory", but 'quinsensoriality' sounds weird...
1 x

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Re: Latin based word Creation

Postby Jean-Luc » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:15 am

It looks like a naming request... Use tools like this one https://www.online-latin-dictionary.com to find some answers. Another way is to use a word mixer like https://leandomainsearch.com starting your search with Qui...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”