How do you learn to make sentences from words?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ravi5768
Languages: Hindi (N), English , Portuguese (Beginner)

How do you learn to make sentences from words?

Postby Ravi5768 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:58 pm

Hello,
I am Ravi. I have recently gotten really interested in learning a new language and decided to learn Portuguese. Please note that this is the first time I am trying to learn a new language so I am really sorry if my question sounds dumb. How I went learning Portuguese is I first listed down all the English works I use most often, then google translated them all into Portuguese and memorized the list over the last three weeks. Now that I know these words I don't know how to join them into meaningful sentences. How do I learn to chain together words to create meaningful sentences, is there a commonly used method or technique. Are there any concepts I need to look into.
0 x

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Re: How do you learn to make sentences from words?

Postby jimmy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:41 pm

oh ravi :)
how can we construct a meaningful sentence from random words?

scenario 1
if we care to Saint Darwin (peh peh peh :) :) :) ) ; then we can say that they just coincidentally come across each other and very meaningful sentences happens :) :)

scenario 2:
some words are feminine and some of them are masculine. then, they fall in love respectively and you see the fruits and vegatebales : meaningful sentences of course :) :) :)

scenario 3:
there are lots of insane people all around the World. all the things they do just production :) , they produce very meaningful sentences and distribute them to the people WHO have sanity.

I really wonder how old you are :) :)

GENERAL NOTIFICATION : if you took all the explanations Seriously above you may also consider to kiss whoever you see in next three days.
because all of them consisted of a bad joke. :) :)

SOLUTION: Read books more and more than ever.
1 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:54 pm

That's one of the most unusual methods I have heard of yet.

First: Google translate is not the world's best dictionary so you should get a real one - one that goes in both directions. Second: you haven't mentioned a key component, namely grammar. Get a small language guide with a grammar section and use it for reference and control purposes - you can buy a larger one later on. And thirdly: you need to see a lot of simple sentences. Most people would get them from a textbook, but since you apparently are very fond of Google translate you could also take a lot of simple things you want to say and stuff them into Google. The G.T. translations may be pure nonsense, but if you stick to simple and short sentences then the risk is limited (at least from English to Portuguese - I have not a clue about the Hindi skills of the program). And with these things you should be able to establish a tiny island of things you know how to say.

As for the examples in the language guide: don't trust them blindly. Expressions in two different languages may be used in similar situations, but actually mean totally different things if you look at the words they contain and the way they are constructed. So pluck the Portuguese phrases to pieces to see what they really say..

As for texts: use bilingual texts for study purposes. Since it may be problematic to find sufficiently literal translations: use Google translate and put the two language versions into adjacent columns in MSWord or something similar - and expect some gross G.T. errors along the way. But having a translation will help you to understand the Portuguese texts without getting bogged down by unknown words.

And finally listening: you need to hear Portuguese at an early stage, and if you don't know any living speakers then you have to use the internet - but try to find short speech scraps where you know what is said (for instance from a transcript) , and then listen to them several times while focusing on the pronunciation rather than the meaning - the meaning will pop up in your mind by itself later if you know enough of the words and some grammar. But you need to have an inner voice to use while you read stuff - and then it is less important whether that voice speaks European Portuguese or Brazilian.

And finally: start writing short sentences yourself, and either learn to think in simple Portuguese or find somebody to speak to.

Good luck - you'll need it!
5 x

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:07 pm

https://www.assimil.com/en/with-ease/90 ... 80815.html
try this book, it takes 150 days if applied as instructed, it's a commonly used method and will get you what you asked for
5 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:50 pm

OP, did you learn English with this method? If not, you might want to revise your plan.

However, if it succeeds I'll eat my words.
3 x

Ravi5768
Languages: Hindi (N), English , Portuguese (Beginner)

Postby Ravi5768 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:45 pm

Thankyou very much Iversen and daegga those suggestions were very helpful. Also jimmy take care of your mental health, life can be rough sometimes but don't give up.
1 x

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:15 am

Ravi5768 wrote:Thankyou very much Iversen and daegga those suggestions were very helpful. Also jimmy take care of your mental health, life can be rough sometimes but don't give up.

well , I say almost the same for you. "take care of your mental health, life can be rough sometimes but don't give up. Also take the IQ test at psychiatry clinic, because you asked very nonsense or stupid question"

0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:28 am

OK, Jimmy, you and Ravi5768 obviously don't have high opinions of each other, but let Ravi try out the experiment in peace - or revise it along the way (as most of us would predict). In the worst case memorizing selected, but unconnected words may prove to be a waste of Ravi's time, not of yours.

That being said, I remember that my first contact with Latin happened because I was interested in the names of animal species, and often they didn't have a Danish name. So I proceeded to look up the Latin names (or elements thereof) in a Latin-Danish dictionary, and this way I learned a lot of Latin words without ever trying to study Latin grammar or read texts in the language (except that it was clear that the ending -i indicated the genitive). Actually I also learned some Greek words along the way, but I couldn't check them in a dictionary because I still didn't know the Greek alphabet. Later on, when I started learning Latin in school, the isolated words I had learned earlier could be integrated fairly easily in my vocabulary so the time wasn't wasted, but it is not the way I would start a new language today.
2 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:18 am

1 - Read Many Books
2 - Learn Grammar
3 - Practice writing
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:36 am

It may sound unoriginal, but how about getting any normal coursebook for Portuguese learners? Something like Teach Yourself or Colloquial is not expensive or can be found for free (for example in a library, online, etc). And it will get the job done, teach the basic beginner grammar with explanations, examples, and exercises.

I'd say most beginners would do the best to get absolutely any ok beginner coursebook and complete it, and then decide what to next.

And yes, Google Translate is definitely not the most reliable dictionary.

And was it a typo, that you translated the English "works" that you use most often? Or "words"? If you mean "works", like vocab from several books, it may be a bit distant from everyday language (depends on the books), but still makes some sense. If you mean "words", then you are likely to have made not only a too small list, but may have also learnt mistakes, such as words used in a different sense etc. It really depends. Relying on a ready made resource (such as a beginner coursebook, or a frequency list) would probably save you time and possible disappointment.
4 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”