Retrieval practice - free brochures

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
AllSubNoDub
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Speaks: Spanish (B1+), German (B2 dormant)
Learns: Japanese (Kanji only)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17191

Re: Retrieval practice - free brochures

Postby AllSubNoDub » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:03 pm

rdearman wrote:
AllSubNoDub wrote:
luke wrote:
I'm not disputing the general notion, "if it was hard, that was good for you". Your tips are helpful.

Just don't become a sadist!

Shouldn't that be Masochistic? A Masochistic is a person who feels or finds pleasure in punishments. :ugeek:

I do find pleasure in inflicting myself with pain, I just don't enjoy receiving it.

Kidding, you're right. I try to stay away from that corner of the internet, so I tend to mix those up.
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:18 pm

1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:38 pm

A new Glossika interface with retrieval practice incorporated

The Glossika Blog —
Welcome to the All-New Learning Interface
https://ai.glossika.com/blog/glossika-a ... -interface

Recall

We’ve converted the interpretation practice into recall to make this training skill more useful for you. In recall practice, we encourage you to say it (or type it) without looking at or listening to it. If you’d like to choose between typing or recording, you can do that in the session settings.

Whether you get the target sentence correct or wrong, your memory gets consolidated due to the effort of your thinking process.

Don’t let unsuccessful attempts discourage you.

Psychology researchers Henry L. Roediger III and Jeffrey D. Karpicke who specialize in human learning and memory, conducted an experiment and found that "retrieve" works better than "re-study" in terms of memory consolidation. And some follow-up research reveals that if you feel challenged and find it difficult to retrieve, even if retrieving unsuccessfully, the memory will solidify more.

Read more:
3 Scientifically-Proven Ways to Improve How You Learn

https://ai.glossika.com/blog/3-scientif ... -you-learn
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:40 am

Spaced Repetition - Cramming For Tests Meets Its Match

https://self-growth.captivate.fm/episod ... -its-match

Spaced repetition implores you to focus on frequency rather than duration of learning. This has been proven to be more effective than most other conventional study schedules. This is why cramming during an all-nighter doesn’t work so well and why planning your study schedule is of utmost importance.
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:22 pm

using flashcards for retrieval the right way

Retrieval Practice for Better Learning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n-DJMKSU9g

Finally, utilize self-testing and practicing drawing information out of your brain instead of trying to stuff information into it. This may be counterintuitive, but the more we can engage in mini tests, the better we memorize and learn. This is known as retrieval practice, as you are retrieving information. Though this is mostly done through the context of flashcards, the overarching lesson is that we must be active in our efforts. The bigger the struggle, the deeper the learning and memorization. When you force yourself to learn, well, you will learn. There is no real shortcut.

-----------
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:24 pm

Don’t just repeat after me: Retrieval practice is better than imitation for foreign vocabulary learning

https://link.springer.com/article/10.37 ... 013-0450-z

Abstract

Second language (L2) instruction programs often ask learners to repeat aloud words spoken by a native speaker. However, recent research on retrieval practice has suggested that imitating native pronunciation might be less effective than drill instruction, wherein the learner is required to produce the L2 words from memory (and given feedback). We contrasted the effectiveness of imitation and retrieval practice drills on learning L2 spoken vocabulary. Learners viewed pictures of objects and heard their names; in the imitation condition, they heard and then repeated aloud each name, whereas in the retrieval practice condition, they tried to produce the name before hearing it. On a final test administered either immediately after training (Exp. 1) or after a 2-day delay (Exp. 2), retrieval practice produced better comprehension of the L2 words, better ability to produce the L2 words, and no loss of pronunciation quality.
3 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Postby s_allard » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:15 pm

Interesting stuff and thanks to Kraut for the links. I would just like to add what I think is the ultimate language memorization tool : just use it. OK, it’s a bit simplistic but what I want to say is that after doing all the spaced repetition thing the next step is to actually use what you have learned.

Let me give the example of what I do. As I peruse my lists of sentences and phrases I select a few that I deliberately intend to use. For example, recently I have been working on diversifying my ways of greeting people on line in Spanish. If I have time I print out a list of these phrases and put the page next to my computer screen.

Then when I work with my on-line tutor I glance at my sheet to recall the key phrases I want to use and work them into the conversation. This works wonders. Just the other day I listened to the television commentary of the funeral of a Mexican singer. The following day in my on-line class I described the funeral, deliberately using of course many elements taken directly from the commentary that I had heard. It worked really well, now I'm pretty good at describing funerals. One never knows when this may come in handy.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:23 pm

s_allard wrote:Let me give the example of what I do. As I peruse my lists of sentences and phrases I select a few that I deliberately intend to use. For example, recently I have been working on diversifying my ways of greeting people on line in Spanish. If I have time I print out a list of these phrases and put the page next to my computer screen.

Then when I work with my on-line tutor I glance at my sheet to recall the key phrases I want to use and work them into the conversation. This works wonders. Just the other day I listened to the television commentary of the funeral of a Mexican singer. The following day in my on-line class I described the funeral, deliberately using of course many elements taken directly from the commentary that I had heard. It worked really well, now I'm pretty good at describing funerals. One never knows when this may come in handy.

Words from lists like this can be worked into email and other written messages, too.
And as for the King of Mexico, what a marvelous voice the man had, whatever you may think of the style!
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOe9yh7uAFs

How to Study in College: Use Retrieval Practice!

Not directed especially at language learners, but sums up fine some of the general guide-lines.

Do you suffer from Test Anxiety, or is it Retrieval Deficiency? Most students spend all of their time putting information INTO their brain, but Retrieval Practice will teach you how to pull that information OUT of your brain. Every student is in college to learn something that will help them live a better life. The sad reality is that most students have never been taught how the brain actually learns. Why not use our understanding of the human brain to make sure that you study better, learn smarter, and increase the odds that you achieve your dreams.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”