What dialect of Arabic is this?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Jinx
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (adv), varying levels of French, Esperanto, Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Croatian, Catalan, Mandarin, Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16835

What dialect of Arabic is this?

Postby Jinx » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:12 pm

I've searched the forum and I didn't see any post addressing this question: What type of Arabic is used in the Goethe Verlag book2 audio?

I see the Egyptian flag associated with it, but I'm not sure if that's correct or if they just picked it because it's one of the "big names" in Arabic dialects. I'm interested in the Levantine variant myself, so I don't want to start studying this material if it's Egyptian.

Here's the table of contents – click any section to hear the audio.
0 x
Feel free to add me on Goodreads.
Pronouns: she/her.
Corrections welcome!

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Re: What dialect of Arabic is this?

Postby 白田龍 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:34 pm

That is not in a dialect, but in formal (written) Arabic, which is nearly the same throughout the Arab world.

(Warning: there are many errors in the latin transcription (they auto-generated by some inacurate software), trust what you hear not what read.)
3 x

Jinx
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), German (adv), varying levels of French, Esperanto, Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Croatian, Catalan, Mandarin, Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16835

Postby Jinx » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:04 pm

Perfect, thank you so much for letting me know! And also about the Latin transcription. The written Arabic is correct though, right?
0 x
Feel free to add me on Goodreads.
Pronouns: she/her.
Corrections welcome!

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:59 pm

Jinx wrote: The written Arabic is correct though, right?

My Arabic is not great, but it looks perfectly fine to me.
2 x

haziz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (L2 but at native level - my primary language), Spanish (Beginner - ?A1), Egyptian Arabic (N but not using the language), Modern Standard Arabic (?C1 passive/reading, A2 active/writing - also not using), French (Studied in school but retained very little).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19722

Postby haziz » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:15 am

I sampled a couple of pages. The Arabic spoken is modern standard Arabic, which as you probably know is the Arabic you would encounter with modern Arabic literature, and on TV with newscasts and formal announcements etc. It is universal, but nobody across the Middle East actually speaks like that at home. It should be comprehensible across the entire Middle East. There were no mistakes that I could see on either the Arabic side or the English translation, however I sampled a total of about ten or twelve phrases.

I am a native Arabic speaker, although I have zero interest in the language or the culture.
1 x
Spanish:
: 23 / 55 Platiquemos/FSI
: 0 / 10 Aula internacional Plus 2
: 16 / 126 Gramática de uso del español
: 0 / 6 Difusion graded readers
: 1 / 15 Spanish for Reading
: 11 / 52 Destinos

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”