Using DLI courses

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Using DLI courses

Postby rdearman » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:11 pm

OK, I have the Korean courses for Korean (FSI & DLI) and I am having some difficulty working out how to approach them. If someone has used DLI courses before, it would be a great help for me if you could explain how you used the resources.

I used them for a little while when I did the Free and Legal Challenge in Korean, but couldn't really work out which files went with which course, etc. I mainly was just listening to random audio while reading the textbook.

So I have DLI-Korean, DLI-Korean-SOLT, DLI-Korean Headstart so which one do you use first? I'm assuming the headstart is the first one. The DLI-Korean is audio only, I can't find a book to go with it. However, the SOLT (whatever that means) has both audio and textbooks.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: Using DLI courses

Postby Deinonysus » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:27 pm

You would want to stick with the Basic course. Headstart is quick and dirty and SOLT is specialized for Special Operations; they are self-contained and not a part of the Basic course.

I found this thread to be very helpful: DLI Courses vs FSI
4 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:47 pm

While I am not familiar with DLI Korean, I have completed two DLI Basic Courses- Portuguese and Haitian Creole. Without the book for the DLI Korean Course, I don't think it will be of much use to you unless you are using another textbook course. The DLI Basic Course lessons start with pronunciation drills and afterwards move into a lesson based on a duplex dialog and a reading. Both have comprehension questions and drills based on vocabulary and grammar.

While people can do the drills with audio only, if you don't know what you may be drilling... it would be useless. Perhaps IronMike can help you locate the text to the old BLI Basic course. Have you looked on Yojik? I did and they had the course available as a zipped file. I don't want to download it just to see if a pdf is attached, but you could. I don't know if the book is in that archive. I also looked on Eric and they have both volumes of the DLI Korean Basic Course, however; only volume 2 is presently available for download. Volume 1 is listed as "awaiting restoration".

You may be referring to the Korean integrated audio only course. I have no experience with this.

DLI Headstart is for military personnel and their families who will be sent to South Korea to familiarize themselves with the culture and phrases needed to take care of their basic needs- a little more than a phrasebook and less than a language course. I'd start here.

DLI SOLT: SOLT is an acronym for "Special Operations Language Training". It was used for quick familiarization for soldiers who need basic communication in Korean for military needs- a phrasebook.
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:22 pm

iguanamon wrote: Have you looked on Yojik? I did and they had the course available as a zipped file.

Yes, that is the one I have. It is all audio.

iguanamon wrote:DLI Headstart is for military personnel and their families who will be sent to South Korea to familiarize themselves with the culture and phrases needed to take care of their basic needs- a little more than a phrasebook and less than a language course. I'd start here.

Reasonable, since I'm really only striving for tourist Korean.

iguanamon wrote:only volume 2 is presently available for download. Volume 1 is listed as "awaiting restoration".

I have downloaded the second volume, thanks for the tip. I suppose I could just go from headstart to volume 2 and hope for the best.

iguanamon wrote:DLI SOLT: SOLT is an acronym for "Special Operations Language Training". It was used for quick familiarization for soldiers who need basic communication in Korean for military needs- a phrasebook.

Actually this seemed pretty comprehensive. But I think sticking to the Basic one to start, then perhaps move to this since it might be more middle of the road.

Of course I have the FSI Korean as well, so I can always try to do that in parallel.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

dgc1970
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby dgc1970 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:32 pm

rdearman wrote:
iguanamon wrote: Have you looked on Yojik? I did and they had the course available as a zipped file.

Yes, that is the one I have. It is all audio.

iguanamon wrote:DLI Headstart is for military personnel and their families who will be sent to South Korea to familiarize themselves with the culture and phrases needed to take care of their basic needs- a little more than a phrasebook and less than a language course. I'd start here.

Reasonable, since I'm really only striving for tourist Korean.

iguanamon wrote:only volume 2 is presently available for download. Volume 1 is listed as "awaiting restoration".

I have downloaded the second volume, thanks for the tip. I suppose I could just go from headstart to volume 2 and hope for the best.

iguanamon wrote:DLI SOLT: SOLT is an acronym for "Special Operations Language Training". It was used for quick familiarization for soldiers who need basic communication in Korean for military needs- a phrasebook.

Actually this seemed pretty comprehensive. But I think sticking to the Basic one to start, then perhaps move to this since it might be more middle of the road.

Of course I have the FSI Korean as well, so I can always try to do that in parallel.

https://www.livelingua.com/course/dli/k ... sic_course
1 x

RyanSmallwood
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English

Postby RyanSmallwood » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:51 pm

For FSI and DLI I like using an audio editing program to automatically remove the silences so I can also use them as input. I find for distant languages hearing lots of similar simple sentences while looking at the meaning really helps them click intuitively. Of course if you need to speak soon it might help to do the drills as well, but I think over-drilling isn't considered an efficient way to learn anymore, so I'd probably use them as input first.

The program I usually use for remove the silences automatically is Audacity, but someone told me its been bought and turned to spyware so I dunno the best thing to recommend anymore.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:48 pm

RyanSmallwood wrote:For FSI and DLI I like using an audio editing program to automatically remove the silences so I can also use them as input. I find for distant languages hearing lots of similar simple sentences while looking at the meaning really helps them click intuitively. Of course if you need to speak soon it might help to do the drills as well, but I think over-drilling isn't considered an efficient way to learn anymore, so I'd probably use them as input first.

The program I usually use for remove the silences automatically is Audacity, but someone told me its been bought and turned to spyware so I dunno the best thing to recommend anymore.

Audacity is open source. They installed telemetry but removed it after people protested.
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:42 pm

rdearman wrote:Audacity is open source. They installed telemetry but removed it after people protested.

I didn't actually know that, but I know MuseGroup are the people who run it now and that they are not what I thought they were back when they started heavy development on the fledgling MuseScore. I was a paying member for a while, but I'm afraid the policy became somewhat murky for my tastes. However they still have the score-writing software as open source, so I can't fault them for that.
0 x
Pedantry is properly the over-rating of any kind of knowledge we pretend to.
- Jonathan Swift

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:20 am

Sorry. Been moving the last week. Just logging in now. Did someone need me? ;)
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:05 am

Le Baron wrote:
rdearman wrote:Audacity is open source. They installed telemetry but removed it after people protested.

I didn't actually know that, but I know MuseGroup are the people who run it now and that they are not what I thought they were back when they started heavy development on the fledgling MuseScore. I was a paying member for a while, but I'm afraid the policy became somewhat murky for my tastes. However they still have the score-writing software as open source, so I can't fault them for that.

People have forked the code also.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”