Material to start learning French?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
sirgregory
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish
Studies: German, French

Re: Material to start learning French?

Postby sirgregory » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:04 pm

The main thing is you want to pick a course or course combo that has 1) a book/main text and 2) audio. FSI, DLI, and Assimil have a book with accompanying audio. Pimsleur is audio only so it would need to be paired with a book course or book+audio course. One reason those courses are mentioned so much is that traditionally those are the ones with some of the best audio. Finding a decent book is not so hard, but for many courses the audio is non-existent, impossible-to-find, or sub-par. And having good audio can make a tremendous difference. Nowadays there's a lot of stuff online, including an abundance of audio, but there's still much to be said for a good old fashioned book+audio course. The classic courses tend to be well-structured and comprehensive and should leave you with a good foundation in the language.

If you are having trouble getting the ball rolling, you might take a look at some of the apps. I've used some Duolingo and the nice thing about it is that it's completely free and you don't have to plan out what you're going to do. You can just get on and do it. It's a great way to get your feet wet, imo.
3 x

rpg
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2), French (B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8368

Postby rpg » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:56 am

I was hoping someone else would post about French in Action, but I guess I will take it upon myself. In my eyes it's the best out there. For those unfamiliar, French in Action consists of 52 (really 51) lessons, each based around a half-hour instructional video that's entirely in French. For each lesson, you then continue with 50 or so exercises in the accompanying workbook, textbook, and audio files, and then you're on to the next lesson.

I like it so much for a variety of reasons. One is that it's a mostly audio-focused course. Each lesson has half an hour of audio in the video, and then many of the exercises are based on accompanying audio tracks. Do a couple lessons and you're already have more audio than an entire Assimil course. That's important for getting input and also for developing your ear for the sounds of the language and your own pronunciation. If you're not careful as a beginner it's easy to develop an atrocious, incomprehensible French accent, and the audio focus in FiA, along with all the explicit pronunciation instruction or minimal pair exercises that's spread throughout the lessons, should (hopefully) help.

Besides the purely phonemic component, the audio also gives a lot of exposure to actual spoken French. That means things like negation without "ne" (some of the time, in FiA) and dropping a number of e vowels (the e muet). Many learner-focused materials teach a somewhat artificial form of French that's not going to match up to what you actually hear if you go to France and speak to anybody.

Another reason is that it's very thorough and comprehensive. You're going to hit basically all the grammar points you need to know and cover a lot of useful vocabulary.
6 x
Super challenge 2020/21
French reading: 4534 / 5000      Spanish reading: 81 / 5000
French movies: 115 / 150       Spanish movies: 98 / 150

Pikaia
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (a bit), French (a bit less)

Postby Pikaia » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:34 pm

The tricky part with FIA is getting ahold of the audio component. It used to float around the internet, but I haven’t seen it lately.
0 x

kennyaa
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (B2)

Postby kennyaa » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:50 pm

Aliceayel.com and French in Action are my favourite beginner French resources.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”