Language Proficiency Exams

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Language Proficiency Exams

Postby IronMike » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:57 pm

Now to take your questions in line:
Walinator wrote:Could someone possibly explain the difference between being 1+ or B1 in a language or what the difference is between the CELF, the DELF, and all the other tests mentioned on the forum?

Looks like there are great answers above to this. If you need more, let us know.

Walinator wrote:Also, is there a test out there that determines one's proficiency in Persian?

Go to the link that Hieronymous posted and you might find one.

Walinator wrote:Lastly, why do people aim to complete these tests?

This one, I can answer. Long story long, I take them for two reasons: a) I can possibly get paid extra money for them. For my 3/3/2+ in Russian, I get an extra $275 every two weeks. That adds up. Of course, I never "see" that money because it goes directly into my daughter's 529, but that's another story; and 2) I like to know how I'm doing in the language.

Granted, I can take DLPTs to my heart's content. If I had to pay for the tests, unsure I'd take them. The one and only language test I paid for was the Esperanto KER test which certified me as C1 in writing and reading. IIRC it was 45 euros. Well worth it.

But the free ones, like DIALang, I take throughout my study "season" to know when I'm ready for the DLPT. My recent German reading DIALang got me a 1 I think. I was happy with that and took the DLPT in May (2/1+). DLI also has free assessments (ODA) and I did that for BCS a couple times.
5 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”