How far can you get with Pimsleur German?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Barton212
Languages: English

How far can you get with Pimsleur German?

Postby Barton212 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:14 pm

What CEFR level can you reach after completing all the levels of Pimsleur German?

What’s the best course to get to a B1 level?
0 x

GermanIsHard
Languages: English (N) German (beginner)

Re: How far can you get with Pimsleur German?

Postby GermanIsHard » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:24 pm

Take what I say with a grain of salt, because I am still a beginner myself. But, I really like Assimil's German with Ease (although I only got to about lesson 30/100 last time before I stopped using it because I got sidetracked by other resources). However, I am going back to it, and will be completing it in it's entirety. I like the way that it is laid out, as it progressively introduces new vocabulary and grammar concepts. Although, the reason why I chose Assimil is because I listened to the advice of other experienced language learners who also recommended using the book and audio course.
3 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:33 am

I've finished all five levels of Pimsleur German and I don't think it gets you up to any specific CEFR level, because it isn't supposed to. It will make you very comfortable with spoken interactions for travel and general pleasantries without needing to rely on English, but it won't give you the vocabulary or grammatical knowledge to read a novel or write an essay or anything like that.

I think that Assimil and Duolingo are good for filling in the gaps that Pimsleur doesn't cover. I don't know if there's any one course that will get you to B1 by itself.
7 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:13 am

Deinonysus wrote:I've finished all five levels of Pimsleur German and I don't think it gets you up to any specific CEFR level, because it isn't supposed to. It will make you very comfortable with spoken interactions for travel and general pleasantries without needing to rely on English, but it won't give you the vocabulary or grammatical knowledge to read a novel or write an essay or anything like that.

I think that Assimil and Duolingo are good for filling in the gaps that Pimsleur doesn't cover. I don't know if there's any one course that will get you to B1 by itself.

Thanks, Deinoysus, for saving me from writing my usual long post. Pimsleur is really good at what it does- generating automaticity with language. Combine it with Assimil, Teach Yourself, DLI Basic or any good course (textbook with audio) and a good grammar book and you are on to a winner. You most likely won't get to B1, but you will have a good foundation to start to get there by reading; listening; speaking; writing. You really start to learn the language when you finish your course(s). Have a look in the signature block for my link to the multi-track approach which can help you as you self-learn a language.
5 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:08 am

I've occasionally experimented with seeing just how far Pimsleur could take me for new languages that I had no experience in. My experience was that it was near impossible to get through Pimsleur II, and sometimes Pimsleur I, using that alone. I reached a point where I was just imitating sounds, without understanding them. I think I crashed with Russian on Level I, Lesson 5. I don't even know if it's possible to finish all five levels without outside study unless you have experience with the language, know a related language, or are an actual linguistic savant.

With that, using Pimsleur is absolutely one critical part of my learning strategy. Beyond that, I agree with everything everyone already wrote.

Note: Same with Assimil. Same with the old Colloquial and Teach Yourself courses. Same with 'em all. I never get far using one single approach.
6 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”