Getting Most of out TV and Books

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
issemiyaki
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (Fluent); French (Fluent); Russian (hoping to reach fluency his year!)

Getting Most of out TV and Books

Postby issemiyaki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:40 pm

Hi All,

I wonder if I'm reading books in my foreign language the right way (or, at least, the most useful way).

Currently, I'm reading Un Appartament à Paris by Guillaume Musso, and I love underlying new words and interesting turns of phrase. And, of course, I dream of using those new expressions during my tutoring sessions.

However, this will require making glossaries. Now, nobody loves a good glossary more than I do. But sometimes, I just want to keep reading. I feel guilty for NOT stopping to look up words. I understand between 80-90% of what's going on in this book already, and I can see the movie playing in front of my eyes as I'm reading.

I'm also watching Lupin on Netflix, and sometimes, I just want to keep watching even though I don't understand entire sections of dialogue because the action tends to reveal what's going on. And besides, it gets tiring stopping the video every 30 seconds to check the subtitles. (I'm thinking, when I'm in France, I won't be able to tell people to stop and rewind. I can ask for clarification, but sometimes I'll have to go with the flow.)

So, am I really learning if I just keep reading or watching? Does this count as studying? Am I deluding myself? Doesn't the exposure count for something?

Of course, my goal is to use all of those wonderful new expressions and phrases with native French speakers (my tutor at the very least), but I just feel like spending most of the day adding words to a glossary (particularly when I spend more time on that than I do reading a chapter of the book), something is wrong with that picture.

I guess what it comes down to is: I feel like I'm spending more time on the busy work surrounding maintaining a glossary than I am in actually being EXPOSED to the langauge.

What's your take.

Thanks!
7 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Re: Getting Most of out TV and Books

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:04 pm

People take very different approaches to this question, and the same people may take different approaches depending on the language at issue. For me, with a language like French, where I have relatively easy access to new input and I’m still at an early intermediate level, I just keep reading/watching. If the word/phrase is important enough, we will meet again. I’m not going to run out of good stuff in French, especially with dubs and translations widely available.

If I was learning Irish, where compelling books and movies are few, I would milk every last drop of goodness out of what the materials I had at hand.

You aren’t doing it “wrong” it you just read extensively without taking notes. You may want to use a different resource like Bien-Dire for actively acquiring new vocabulary. They’ve already done the work of putting the novel words in the margins. I personally like Clozemaster to make sure I’m exposed to vocab, so I can keep my reading purely extensive.
9 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:32 pm

issemiyaki wrote:So, am I really learning if I just keep reading or watching? Does this count as studying? Am I deluding myself? Doesn't the exposure count for something?

It counts. Follow your heart, angel!
6 x

einzelne
Blue Belt
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading), Italian (Reading on Kindle)

Postby einzelne » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:45 pm

Google intensive vs extensive reading. Implement both approaches.

It is possible to progress with extensive activities only. However, if you add intensive sessions, your progress will be faster. The trick is to find the right balance (for you) between them.
15 x

issemiyaki
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (Fluent); French (Fluent); Russian (hoping to reach fluency his year!)

Postby issemiyaki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:44 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

I will move forward in the following manner:

I will use my tutoring sessions for my intensive work. My tutor loves to use colloquial French, and I leave every lesson with AT LEAST 20 new HYPER-authentic expressions you might only hear on the ground in Paris, Nancy, Lyon, etc. Basic standard stuff. So, I will of course put those in my ever-growing glossary. And since I record all my sessions on Zoom, I can easily see and hear how those terms were used in context.

The REST, forget it. When it comes to TV, Novels, Radio, Netflix, I'm just going to consume and enjoy. And not feel guilty about it.

So, that's the balance I'm going to strike.

Thanks All.
7 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:10 pm

With french I look up all unknown words during/after reading. Watching TV I only look up unknown words/phrases if I'm I watching a short programme ~30 mins, longer than that I just don't bother because it takes too much time.

With German I don't look up any unknown words when watching TV, as there are just too many. I do try to look them up during/after reading.
6 x

issemiyaki
Orange Belt

Postby issemiyaki » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:59 pm

@Davie Again

Thanks for chiming in.

I'm taking a similar path to yours. My lesson is 1 hour, twice a week (I may up it to 3x a week before heading over to France). But that is where I'm going to concentrate my intensive learning. It lends itself to that. I am literally combing through my most recent lesson, today actually, and I've been at it for more than 2 hours, jotting down all the KEY phrases. 40 so far!!!!! Good, key, basic phrases that I can get a lot of mileage out of, that will help me carry on in-depth conversations.

When I'm done with that, the rest is all enjoyment. No matter if it's TV, Radio, Novels, Netflix, I'm not looking up crap unless I absolutely have to. I will treat this as my extensive learning.

So, lessons (intensive learning); everything else (extensive learning).
2 x

denouement
White Belt
Languages: Active: English (N), German (A1-ish)
Inactive: French, Russian, Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 7&p=190246

Postby denouement » Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:16 am

I think the more balanced approach you've chosen is good, and I would like to encourage you not to give up underlining and note-making entirely (unless you want to!), particularly if you find you're paying less attention without it. One strategy, as an example rather than a suggestion, might be to mark only for a brief review at the end of a reading session, to avoid interfering with extensive reading too much. It may be that dropping it is totally the right move for you, but I thought I would mention the option!
1 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:34 pm

For shows on Netflix, it is possible to download the French subtitle files. So if you want an intensive review afer watching an episode of a show you could print out the French subtitles and read them as intensively as you like. My current plan is to watch Lupin s2 with French subtitles on, then read the dialogues intensively, and finally watch the episode again without subtitles. Obviously the show needs to be interesting enough to warrant revision!
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:37 pm

jeffers wrote:For shows on Netflix, it is possible to download the French subtitle files.

How is this magic accomplished?
12 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”