Getting Most of out TV and Books

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Re: Getting Most of out TV and Books

Postby jeffers » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:41 am

To download Netflix subtitle files:

This method works in Chrome only.

1. Start the programme you want to watch, but set the subtitles to something you don't want (or turn subtitles off).
2. Pause the programme and press ctrl+shift+i to open the Chrome developer pane.
3. Switch on the subtitles you want to download, then refresh the page
4. At the top of the Chrome developer pane, click on the "Network" tab.
5. In the search box (near the top left of the developer pane) type ?o=
6. In the list of files that appears, one of then should start with ?o=
You might have to refresh the page again to get the file to appear.
7. Right-click the file and choose "Open with New Tab". This will cause the file to save to your downloads folder.

The file that downloads is an xml file. There are a few ways to work with these, but I right-click the file and choose to open it with Microsoft Word. I then used the find and replace option to remove the extra blank lines between everything, added columns and printed it out. The whole first episode of Lupin series 2 came to around 9 pages on word, 1931 words in total. In Super Challenge terms I would count that as 6 or 7 pages.

If saved as a standard word document, it can be emailed to your Kindle account and then read on Kindle with all the available dictionaries.

Screenshot 2021-06-25 100406.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
12 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

flaptablet
Languages: English (N), French (B1)

Postby flaptablet » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:10 am

issemiyaki wrote:
I'm also watching Lupin on Netflix, and sometimes, I just want to keep watching even though I don't understand entire sections of dialogue because the action tends to reveal what's going on. And besides, it gets tiring stopping the video every 30 seconds to check the subtitles. (I'm thinking, when I'm in France, I won't be able to tell people to stop and rewind. I can ask for clarification, but sometimes I'll have to go with the flow.)

If you download Learning Languages with Netflix you'll be able to set it up so the show automatically pauses after each line of dialogue. You then click the mouse to move on to the next line. It can still be slow and tiresome, but saves you having to pause manually or go back a few seconds. I try to focus on short shows such as Family Business / Au Service de la France which are usually 25-30 minutes.

I've not used it for a couple of months, but I think this functionality was included in the free version.

Additionally, you can save the subtitles to a PDF with both languages side-by-side and review it before or during watching. You can also have both sets of subtitles on the screen at the same time.

I have the same conflict regarding pushing through or constantly checking. I don't think there's a right answer, I think it's just that there's such a big leap between learner textbooks and native materials that progress is so gradual as to be hard to notice.
6 x

Gordafarin2
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Current focus: Mandarin (A2), Italian (A2)
Maintaining: Persian (B2), Esperanto (B2), Spanish (rusty B1-2)
Dabbled: ASL, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17156

Postby Gordafarin2 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:29 am

The Subadub browser extension also lets you directly download an SRT from Netflix.

(Though these days I am mainly using Migaku, its Anki integration is like magic, and it has some great bells & whistles for Chinese)
6 x
Persian... 10 novels: 4 / 10

Mandarin...
4000 words: 4000 / 4000 / 2000 characters: 1640 / 2000

she/her

Sonjaconjota
Green Belt
Languages: German (N) - English, Spanish, Catalan (advanced) - French, Dutch, Italian (intermediate) - Turkish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 24#p192024

Postby Sonjaconjota » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:56 am

I would like to add one little comment: With series and audiobooks / podcasts, I like to quickly jot down a word or expression that seems important and interesting to me. Sometimes I've understood the meaning and immediately forgotten the word itself, then I just write down the meaning in my mother tongue. I have little post-its and pieces of paper with these words lying around. From time to time, I sit down, gather all the slips of paper for one language and make a list in my notebook.
I'm consciously not starting with a nice blank sheet of paper or my notebook in front of me while watching / listening, because I know I would want to take notes of absolutely everything and not concentrate on enjoying the content. By "making it difficult" for myself I know I will only write down stuff that I feel is relevant.
4 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:07 am

These extensions are probably a better option than downloading the files directly as I described, but I can't use them as they are blocked on my work computer.
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:08 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D8PhFVZwGo

I don't use Chrome (just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't watching you), so I created a video on how to do this using Firefox.

EDIT: To strip xml tags you can use the awk programming language, available by default on Linux, but you have to download and install on Win & Mac. The command is:

Code: Select all

awk '{gsub(/<[^>]*>/,"")};1' YouFileNameHere.xml
11 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:34 pm

https://interpolly.com/
Take your YouTube url to this site. When you play your video and click on an unknown word, Interpolly will create example sentences with it. You can have them collected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Pros and Cons of tutors

Postby Kraut » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:59 pm

Online class with course material:

Una clase de ELE en línea con "Hablamos" (Alicia López)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-IAVqrIXA0

Nos colamos en una clase de Alicia López, que nos abre la puerta y nos muestra cómo usa "Hablamos" en sus clases en línea.
1 x

issemiyaki
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (Fluent); French (Fluent); Russian (hoping to reach fluency his year!)

Postby issemiyaki » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:52 pm

@flaptablet

Thanks for the tips on downloading the subtitles to a PDF file. That is great! I love it.

I have also added the Chrome extension you recommended: "Language Reactor."

It was called Learning Languages with Netflix, but they have since changed the name.

Again, great tool.

Appreciate it.
1 x

cito
Orange Belt
Languages: EN (N) //
FR LT ES
OE EL RU
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17064

Postby cito » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:44 pm

issemiyaki wrote:I'm also watching Lupin on Netflix, and sometimes, I just want to keep watching even though I don't understand entire sections of dialogue because the action tends to reveal what's going on. And besides, it gets tiring stopping the video every 30 seconds to check the subtitles. (I'm thinking, when I'm in France, I won't be able to tell people to stop and rewind. I can ask for clarification, but sometimes I'll have to go with the flow.)

Hey there, hope everything is well. I think this is a great mentality to have when learning a language, and I think as long as you are reading the subtitles, listening, and focusing on the show, it is a great way to learn a language naturally. The thing is, however, is that you must do it consistently. It pays off more over a long period of time than a short intense burst.

My suggestion also would be to look for something like a family drama or a rom-com, if you are into those, more than Lupin. Don't get me wrong- it's a fantastic show, but if you want to listen to French, action shows like Lupin have less language than something like a "slice of life" show or a rom-com. Nevertheless, if you don't like those... stick with what you're already watching. It is much better to be a little less efficient and still enjoying the language learning process than to be doing something you don't like because it will "work better," or whatever. Enjoyment is key to learning!!!

Have a great day.
2 x
50 French Books: 20 / 50
LLPSI-FA: 33 / 35
Greek ASSIMIL: 29 / 100
Russian ASSIMIL: 43 / 100
(On Pause)
Latin ASSIMIL: 29 / 101
Spanish ASSIMIL: 40 / 100

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”