Seperating Anki cards by parts of speech: efficent?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
fresh_air
Yellow Belt
Languages: English*, Portuguese

Learning: Russian

Seperating Anki cards by parts of speech: efficent?

Postby fresh_air » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:26 pm

I'm currently testing separating my decks by parts of speech (adverbs, nouns, adjectives, prepositions). I may also consider separating decks by topic at some point once I review more advanced vocabulary. Does this seem like a good idea, or is it better to have one deck with all words blended together?
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Seperating Anki cards by parts of speech: efficent?

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:49 pm

I've only ever used decks with everything mixed. One deck per language. Personally I don't see a big reason to focus on certain parts of speech (or topics). How many decks are you going to use, how much are you going to add per deck, how often...? If it's just a matter of a one-time event (per part of speech), you could just as well add the cards to a deck you're already using, since the algorithm will spread them out anyway.
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: Seperating Anki cards by parts of speech: efficent?

Postby Deinonysus » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:54 pm

I personally separate my cards out by resource and format. So for instance, I am studying Ancient Greek now and I have three Anki decks for it:
  1. Grammatical terms from a PDF I found online (Greek on one side and definition in English on the other)
  2. Vocabulary deck for my Homeric Greek Textbook (Greek on one side and definition in English on the other)
  3. Inflection deck for my Homeric Greek Textbook (Inflected Greek word on one side, dictionary form with a description of how it's inflected (Greek abbreviations) on the other side)
I put all parts of speech together in my decks because they don't require a change in format, but I do separate out my vocabulary words (Greek/English) from my inflected forms (Greek/Greek).

I do have verbs and nouns as separate decks for Biblical Hebrew but taking another look at those decks, it probably would have been fine to combine them.
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”