TranslationCubed — An innovative method for FAST language learning and THINKING in foreign languages

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

TranslationCubed — An innovative method for FAST language learning and THINKING in foreign languages

Postby Kraut » Thu May 20, 2021 8:22 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXtDpbfNehg

This is a brief demonstration of my TranslationCubed method for ACCELERATED language learning. As described in this video, you can download the PDF depicted via my Instagram page at https://www.instagram.com/linguathor_...

My method is based on over 15 years of experience learning and teaching languages and the observation that language learners (including myself) spend — or rather, WASTE — the most time looking up words in the dictionary and fighting to understand their target language because of a lack of (good) translations.
0 x

Gordafarin2
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Current focus: Mandarin (A2), Italian (A2)
Maintaining: Persian (B2), Esperanto (B2), Spanish (rusty B1-2)
Dabbled: ASL, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17156

Re: TranslationCubed — An innovative method for FAST language learning and THINKING in foreign languages

Postby Gordafarin2 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:22 pm

So it's three steps - read a full sentence translation, then a word-by-word literal translation, and then the learner does a reverse translation to check understanding.

It's a solid method that checks that you understand what each word is doing in the sentence. It makes sense, though I'm not sure it's as revolutionary as all the 'branding' around it makes it seem. It actually seems rather old-school to me - reminds me of glosses in Latin textbooks. It may have fallen out of favour these days, but it definitely has merits.
3 x
Persian... 10 novels: 4 / 10

Mandarin...
4000 words: 4000 / 4000 / 2000 characters: 1640 / 2000

she/her

mokibao
Orange Belt
Languages: Studying: way too many

Re: TranslationCubed — An innovative method for FAST language learning and THINKING in foreign languages

Postby mokibao » Fri May 21, 2021 2:20 pm

So literally the Assimil method?
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri May 21, 2021 2:29 pm

Nothing revolutionary, nothing that innovative. Yes, one of the many good ways to learn and practice.

However, do words really have no meaning at all? How can you present "translation" as "immersion"??? These two things are usually presented as the opposites. If you translate, you are not immersed, while immersion is mainly about understanding from the context.

Don't get me wrong, I think you need some activities from both piles. Both immersion activities (for example extensive listening), and translation ones (for example using a dictionary or normal bilingual cards in srs). But saying that intensive reading with lots of translating and sentence analysing is immersion, that's like describing a dry rain or a herbivore eating meat.

I wasn't sure whether he was selling something (perhaps a table making software, that will make you spend ten minutes on each sentence?) or not. And of course the video is sort of confusing, as he is mixing his German from Spanish method with English descriptions for the expected viewers (English is not just "idiomatic translation" of the Spanish translation of the German sentence :-D ).

He shows one approach to translation and to analysing stuff, so far so good. But there is nothing that innovative about that. And the word "immersion" has nothing to do here, it is clearly just meant as a clickbait. Because if you said "oh, I am using a grammar and translation method", you'd clearly be too outfashioned to get youtube views :-D
4 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sun May 23, 2021 10:48 pm

There is a preceding preparation via the mother tongue to focus the attention on the L2 contents.

Interprete REVELA su MÉTODO para hablar alemán perfecto - David Allen Martin II

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWhzerCnvwk&t=445s
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”