Best approach to working with audio (or audio-visual) materials without transcripts

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
FeoGringo
White Belt
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 11:42 pm
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)
x 159

Best approach to working with audio (or audio-visual) materials without transcripts

Postby FeoGringo » Sun May 16, 2021 9:55 pm

Besides using Netflix shows and Radio Ambulante, I'm trying to expose myself to native content in other Spanish accents through Youtube. I specifically want to expose myself to Puerto Rican and Dominican Republic accents. Sure I can find audio and videos with those accents but Youtube auto captions are a mess.

Other than paying someone (or finding a generous friend) to make a transcript for me, what other options are out there?

Just curious if any forum members have found a reliable way to deal with this issue.
1 x

lusan
Green Belt
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC, USA
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
Polish(In Alcatraz)
French(fun level)
Italian(Beginner)
x 571

Re: Best approach to working with audio (or audio-visual) materials without transcripts

Postby lusan » Sun May 16, 2021 10:55 pm

FeoGringo wrote:Besides using Netflix shows and Radio Ambulante, I'm trying to expose myself to native content in other Spanish accents through Youtube. I specifically want to expose myself to Puerto Rican and Dominican Republic accents. Sure I can find audio and videos with those accents but Youtube auto captions are a mess.

Other than paying someone (or finding a generous friend) to make a transcript for me, what other options are out there?

Just curious if any forum members have found a reliable way to deal with this issue.


I am Dominican. I wonder what motivate you to get used to this accent. It would be a real challenge. If you go to the alto manhatan you will listen a lot... you might even see me if I am visiting my mother...

I just found this one that it is very funny. I loved it.

https://youtu.be/hxo-0FaOsSM

However estos tigueres speak very clear because it seems that were born/brought up in NYC. Dominicans love dropping the 's' and converting the 'r' into 'l' and vise versa. (My wife makes fun of me when I do it in English/Polish.) We/they speak with many allusions/metaphors and sometimes very fast with incomplete sentences.
1 x

FeoGringo
White Belt
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 11:42 pm
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)
x 159

Re: Best approach to working with audio (or audio-visual) materials without transcripts

Postby FeoGringo » Sun May 16, 2021 11:06 pm

lusan wrote:I am Dominican. I wonder what motivate you to get used to this accent. It would be a real challenge. If you go to the alto manhatan you will listen a lot... you might even see me if I am visiting my mother...

I just found this one that it is very funny. I loved it.

https://youtu.be/hxo-0FaOsSM

However estos tigueres speak very clear because it seems that were born/brought up in NYC. Dominicans love dropping the 's' and converting the 'r' into 'l' and vise versa. (My wife makes fun of me when I do it in English/Polish.) We/they speak with many allusions/metaphors and sometimes very fast with incomplete sentences.


When you say "alto Manhattan" I assume you mean Washington Heights?

Several people I come into contact with at work are Dominican. I've been watching a lot of The Carlos Duran show on Youtube! Yes I've noticed the dropping of the 's'. Spanish seems fast in general and the Dominican accent is on another level to my ears.
0 x

lusan
Green Belt
Posts: 326
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Greensboro, NC, USA
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
Polish(In Alcatraz)
French(fun level)
Italian(Beginner)
x 571

Re: Best approach to working with audio (or audio-visual) materials without transcripts

Postby lusan » Sun May 16, 2021 11:17 pm

FeoGringo wrote:
lusan wrote:I am Dominican. I wonder what motivate you to get used to this accent. It would be a real challenge. If you go to the alto manhatan you will listen a lot... you might even see me if I am visiting my mother...

I just found this one that it is very funny. I loved it.

https://youtu.be/hxo-0FaOsSM

However estos tigueres speak very clear because it seems that were born/brought up in NYC. Dominicans love dropping the 's' and converting the 'r' into 'l' and vise versa. (My wife makes fun of me when I do it in English/Polish.) We/they speak with many allusions/metaphors and sometimes very fast with incomplete sentences.


When you say "alto Manhattan" I assume you mean Washington Heights?

Several people I come into contact with at work are Dominican. I've been watching a lot of The Carlos Duran show on Youtube! Yes I've noticed the dropping of the 's'. Spanish seems fast in general and the Dominican accent is on another level to my ears.


Yes. My mother lives in that zone.

I am sorry but I have no idea how to acquire this language but listening a lot and asking questions. The popular TV are very representative and youtube has many clips....

There are expression very tricky. For example,

"comiendose un cable del puente."
La palabra "vaina" es similar to "stuff" and change its meaning as per context.
"tigeres" could be "pals" but also "devious people", etc.
Many expressions from English with minor modifications... and to topped it... I don't think there are any books about it. Context helps a lot to understand the allusions.

Ask and I will try to assist you.
1 x

User avatar
einzelne
Orange Belt
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:33 pm
Languages: Russan (N), English (Working knowledge), French (Reading), German (Reading)
x 626

Re: Best approach to working with audio (or audio-visual) materials without transcripts

Postby einzelne » Sun May 16, 2021 11:30 pm

Listening is the hardest skill to master. It takes years to train your ear and there's no shortcut for that.

If you cannot listen to radio and TV news with neutral accents without transcripts I wouldn't waste your precious time on mastering regional accents.

If you have audio materials with transcripts, concentrate on them now (Texbook audio -> Audiobooks -> Radio news).

If not, you need to read a lot to develop vast vocabulary (without it, it's impossible to decode audio anyways) first and foremost while also introducing and slowly increasing listening sessions — the key is exposing your ears without caring so much for 100% comprehension. Once you reach an upper-intermediate level, you will start to notice the difference.
Last edited by einzelne on Sun May 16, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6 x

FeoGringo
White Belt
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 11:42 pm
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)
x 159

Re: Best approach to working with audio (or audio-visual) materials without transcripts

Postby FeoGringo » Sun May 16, 2021 11:34 pm

lusan wrote:There are expression very tricky. For example,

"comiendose un cable del puente."
La palabra "vaina" es similar to "stuff" and change its meaning as per context.
"tigeres" could be "pals" but also "devious people", etc.
Many expressions from English with minor modifications... and to topped it... I don't think there are any books about it. Context helps a lot to understand the allusions.

Ask and I will try to assist you.


Thank you!
0 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:54 pm
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.
x 362

Re: Best approach to working with audio (or audio-visual) materials without transcripts

Postby 白田龍 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:37 pm

You surely can find a huge amount of materials with trascripts in Spanish, just work with them instead. Leave these shows for free listening, as your listening improve in general, the accents should become easy to understand too after a short while.
2 x

FeoGringo
White Belt
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 11:42 pm
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)
x 159

Re: Best approach to working with audio (or audio-visual) materials without transcripts

Postby FeoGringo » Sun May 16, 2021 11:43 pm

einzelne wrote:Listening is the hardest skill to master. It takes years to train your ear and there's no shortcut for that.

If you cannot listen radio and TV news with neutral accents without transcripts I wouldn't waste your precious time on mastering regional accents.

If you have audio materials with transcripts, concentrate on them now (Texbook audio -> Audiobooks -> Radio news).

If not, you need to read a lot to develop vast vocabulary (without it, it's impossible to decode audio anyways) first and foremost while also introducing and slowly increasing listening sessions — the key is exposing your ears without caring so much for 100% comprehension. Once you reach an upper-intermediate level, you will start notice the difference.


Thank you for the tips!
0 x

FeoGringo
White Belt
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed May 27, 2020 11:42 pm
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)
x 159

Re: Best approach to working with audio (or audio-visual) materials without transcripts

Postby FeoGringo » Sun May 16, 2021 11:51 pm

白田龍 wrote:You surely can find a huge amount of materials with trascripts in Spanish, just work with them instead. Leave these shows for free listening, as your listening improve in general, the accents should become easy to understand too after a short while.


Yes I'm realizing the answer is right in front of my face and I should work with material with transcripts.
0 x

User avatar
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Posts: 2291
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:55 am
Location: Hong Kong
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.
.
x 4407

Re: Best approach to working with audio (or audio-visual) materials without transcripts

Postby smallwhite » Mon May 17, 2021 2:50 am

Democracy Now! news site has accurate transcripts and member iguanamon said
“The announcer is generally a woman with a rioplatense accent” (Venezuelan, IIRC).
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.


Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: philomath, Walinator and 2 guests