GAELIC audio recording "Teach Yourself Gaelic" (R.Mackinnon)

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
coigreach
Languages: Intrested about ALL CELTIC LANGUAGES

GAELIC audio recording "Teach Yourself Gaelic" (R.Mackinnon)

Postby coigreach » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:18 pm

TOPIC: "SCOTTISH GAELIC"

Hallo everybody !
I am looking for a NATIVE SCOTTISH GAELIC speaker or at least someone with proficiency.

Ever since I bought the very old book "TEACH YOURSELF GAELIC" by Roderick Mackinnon (1971), (I have the 1992 reprint) I've been looking for the audio recording but it looks like the message on the back of the book is incorrect.
It is likely that they never made an audio recording of this book which I consider like a good basic grammar/exercice text.

I report the message writte on the back cover of the book: "This book is also available in a book cassette pack".

I was wondering if anyone Gaelic mothertongue could supply at least a few pages of recording for this book since nowadays it is very easy to do it with a smart phone and upload it.
I strongly appreciate someone (possibly) without English accent because otherwise I would do it myself with my own. :lol:

Book ISBN-10 : 0340151536

I post the images of the cover of the 2 different editions: "1992 Roderick Mackinnon" and the next one "1993 Boyd Robertson" which indeed has the original recording.
Thank you

P.S.
The audio recordings available on the internet concern the second edition by Boyd Robertson, which is totally different and should not be confused with what I am looking for.

Here I enclose a picture of the 2 different editions.
Last edited by coigreach on Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

coigreach

Re: GAELIC audio recording "Teach Yourself Gaelic" (R.Mackinnon)

Postby coigreach » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:42 pm

Here the pictures of the 2 editions:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:18 pm

coigreach wrote:Ever since I bought the very old book "TEACH YOURSELF GAELIC" by Roderick Mackinnon (1971), (I have the 1992 reprint) I've been looking for the audio recording but it looks like the message on the back of the book is incorrect.
It is likely that they never made an audio recording of this book which I consider like a good basic grammar/exercice text.

I believe you're right -- they intended to release an accompanying recording, but I don't believe that ever happened.

I was wondering if anyone Gaelic mothertongue could supply at least a few pages of recording for this book since nowadays it is very easy to do it with a smart phone and upload it.

This isn't really the right place to ask -- no natives here that I know of. There are groups on Facebook that you might find helpful.

But if asking elsewhere, I do recommend a different approach. The line "since nowadays it is very easy to do" doesn't come across as particularly grateful -- it feels quite entitled, actually: "I want it, you shouldn't say no, it's just so easy you shouldn't say no"... that's what it sounds like and people don't respond well to it.

The problem here is that you're really asking people to do something for you and not the wider community, as most learners don't have access to the book and wouldn't be able to make much use of the recordings.
5 x

coigreach

Postby coigreach » Sat May 08, 2021 1:05 pm

But if asking elsewhere, I do recommend a different approach. The line "since nowadays it is very easy to do" doesn't come across as particularly grateful -- it feels quite entitled, actually: "I want it, you shouldn't say no, it's just so easy you shouldn't say no"... that's what it sounds like and people don't respond well to it.

The problem here is that you're really asking people to do something for you and not the wider community, as most learners don't have access to the book and wouldn't be able to make much use of the recordings.

I'm sorry that I gave a bad idea in my post, this is an interpretation which was not really in my intentions, on the contrary I'd be eternally grateful to someone doing such a thing.

Actually now I'm even thinking to do it myself but I would need someone to guide me and correct my pronunciation.

Anyway this book could be considered a good intro to the language to used as a secondary means, it is mostly based on old fashon exercises/grammar and it can be easily found second hand on Amazon and digital download on Internet.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”