Kaufmann: Learning How to Learn: A Polyglot's Opinion

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Kaufmann: Learning How to Learn: A Polyglot's Opinion

Postby Kraut » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:46 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuuQkw6EStk

Learning How to Learn: A Polyglot's Opinion

In order to be successful language learners, it can help to have some sense of the learning process, what is actually going on in our brains. This can determine our learning activities and our expectations of ourselves. 0:00​ - How the reading I have done about the brain has helped my learning. 1:06​ - What I think you need to do in order to be a successful learner. 2:55​ - How I applied my knowledge of how to learn to studying languages. 4:54​ - Learning is about change. 7:40​ - A big part of the process is learning to trust your brain. 8:48​ - You need to have a vision of yourself as a learner to succeed.

Enjoy reading and let the brain do its work.
What about putting in a lot of effort? He quotes Spitzer but not Dehaene.
2 x

Steve
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Spanish (Intermediate), Ancient Greek (Intermediate), Hebrew (Beginner), ASL (Beginner), German (Beginner)

Re: Kaufmann: Learning How to Learn: A Polyglot's Opinion

Postby Steve » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:54 pm

Back when I first joined HTLAL and discovered the world of independent language learners, I was rather confused at the lack of agreement on materials and methods that worked. After awhile, I noticed a few principles that seemed to apply to all successful learners. The materials and methods chosen by successful language leaners at various stages of progress were both enjoyable and effective for them. I then spent a long time trying to figure out what made things effective.

Over the years I finally settled on three main things. The first was brain function, the second was related to Deming's views on quality and systems in contrast to Taylor's Scientific Management views that have dominated US thought in business and education, and the third is research showing how individual people have different traits (e.g. Gallup's Strengths research). To the extent the materials and methods used build appropriate brain structures that empower skills, they are effective. To the extent that materials and methods follow Deming's more holistic views on continuous improvement and growth of an entire process (vs. Taylor's views on splitting a process into small independent tasks that experts determine how best to do), they are effective. To the extent they are adapted to individual differences, they are effective. I've found that this empowers learning anything and not just languages.
5 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:20 pm

Kraut wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuuQkw6EStk

Learning How to Learn: A Polyglot's Opinion

What about putting in a lot of effort? He quotes Spitzer but not Dehaene.

That's a little cryptic, especially the "not Dehaene". I would love to understand what that means.

My near term investigation will be what the other Steve - the one who posted just above - thinks :) (by reading more of the book you can find through his signature).
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:03 pm

luke wrote:That's a little cryptic, especially the "not Dehaene". I would love to understand what that means.
They are two how-your-brain-works boffins, Manfred Spitzer, and Stanislas Dehaene.

EDIT
An encouraging video ".. You Will Succeed, don't second guess yourself". :-)
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”