why that no one knows the English mistakes specifically

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
amalhassan
Languages: english intermediat

why that no one knows the English mistakes specifically

Postby amalhassan » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:23 am

When I write in English, no one tells me what mistakes, It seems that no one knows the mistakes specifically..Did you notice that ..?
0 x

lemme_try
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: Russian, English
Learning: French, Mandarin
Dabbing: Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14084

Re: why that no one knows the English mistakes specifically

Postby lemme_try » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:12 am

amalhassan wrote:When I write in English, no one tells me what mistakes, It seems that no one knows the mistakes specifically..Did you notice that ..?

The people do notice when you make mistakes. But they are just being polite. If you want them to correct your mistakes, you should specifically ask so.
3 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:56 pm

amalhassan wrote:When I write in English, no one tells me what mistakes, It seems that no one knows the mistakes specifically..Did you notice that ..?

Here’s a better version of what you want to say, I think. There are more ways to say it, of course:

When I write in English, no one corrects my mistakes. It seems that no one can identify specific mistakes. Have you noticed that?

When you say “no one” who are you referring to? Your teachers? Colleagues? Friends? I think the only people who have any responsibility to correct your writing are your teachers.

Even then, correcting an extended piece of writing takes a lot of work and your teachers may not have enough time. Last night I watched my daughter work with her friend (not an English speaker) for two hours on one essay. My daughter spent the time correcting grammar, pointing out where the grammar was correct but didn’t sound like English, clarifying the writer’s intentions, pointing out things that were missing from the essay that were essential to answering the question and so on. Two hours at least for one essay.

Other possibilities include: people are being polite; people often don’t mind mistakes if they understand your message; people don’t know how to describe and correct specific grammar issues; grammar is correct but doesn’t sound like English. This last one is almost the case with your post.

But mostly I think it’s lack of time combined with basically understanding your message.
3 x

Lemus
Orange Belt
Languages: Know: English (N), German (B2), Spanish (B2/C1), Italian, Portuguese
Study (on and off): Persian, Russian

Postby Lemus » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:01 am

I would never correct someone's English grammar unless they asked for me specifically to do it. Most people become very offended if you correct their grammar when they are speaking and I'll be honest, I don't love it when others do it to me when I'm not speaking English (even though I know it's good for me).

I'm sure people would be happy to help you out but you have to ask them first and make it clear you will not be offended.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”