Advice from ESIT on language learning

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Gustav Aschenbach
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Advice from ESIT on language learning

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:04 pm

Hello,

language learning tips from renowned interpreting/translation school ESIT (Paris) (French, translated into English with DeepL, didn't check the translation; "Language A" refers to one's native language):

Language training (ESIT)

A few tips freely inspired by the ESIT brochure: Comment perfectionner ses connaissances linguistiques (ESIT 1984-1995-1998) Compiled and contributed by Jean-Jacques Pedussaud.
LANGUAGE IMPROVEMENT
Language A
READING

1. read literary texts (novel, poetry, theatre)

2. reading the press (including, obligatorily, every day, ONE article on a subject that at first glance you find repulsive!)

3. remain critical of the language used in the media; be a vigilant reader, on the lookout for the unexpected, but also for mistakes; likewise, be a vigilant speaker and listener: hunt down your own mistakes or language tics (we all have them...).
WRITING

4. writing for oneself (diary) and others (mail, emails).

5. practising written language exercises (Raymond Queneau style exercises; imitation of a model)
ORAL PRODUCTION

6. give oral accounts of things heard or read (if possible, have them corrected by another native speaker: if not, record and listen to them again with a critical ear, starting again if necessary).

7. practising oral language exercises (style exercises, imitation exercises: see written activity 5; same advice as for activity 6).
ORAL COMPREHENSION

By definition, ORAL UNDERSTANDING should not be a problem in language A!

Language B (French)
LISTENING COMPREHENSION

8. practise listening attentively to radio, television, films in OV, audio or video recordings, speeches and interviews on the internet.
READING COMPREHENSION

9. carefully read literary texts and press (see activities 20 & 21), research (internet, monolingual dictionaries, encyclopaedias...) AND Write down in a notebook the meaning of unknown expressions.
ORAL EXPRESSION

10. discussion on a given subject with a native speaker who will listen to you and take notes to correct you at the end: he or she will point out mistakes, but ABOVE ALL will propose correct formulations, with many synonyms => so find a reliable A speaker.

11. SHADOWING of the radio or television (i.e. repetition of the message in the same way, one or two seconds apart). Attention: this exercise does not prepare for simultaneous interpreting. It only aims to improve the flow and fluidity as well as the phonological and intonative fidelity.

12. 12. Oral report (of a text or an oral message) with REPRECISE TO IDENTICE expressions from the original (can be used in conjunction with exercise 8 or 9).

13. ORAL PARAPHRASISING an initial written or oral message (can be combined with activities 8 or 9), i.e. rephrase, this time making sure NOT to use the same expressions as the original. NB: this is an excellent preparation for interpretation (method). Be careful however not to mix linguistic improvement and interpretation...

14. Reading aloud (you can record yourself, listen to yourself again, and start over by correcting any phonological errors you find. Beware, however, of mortiferous perfectionism).

15. Learning by heart one argumentative paragraph at a time (taken from an essay or press article), or even a poem, a passage from a novel or a play. Recite it or write it down from memory. Check for fidelity. Repeat it until you have memorized it perfectly, before learning a new passage.
WRITTEN EXPRESSION

16. Written account with REWRITING of expressions from the original (see Activity 11)

17. Written report with SYSTEMATIC PARAPHRASE (i.e. expressions systematically different from those used in the original - see activity 12)

18. Write on an imposed subject (one paragraph on this or that theme).

19. Personal writing (diary) or mail.

LEXICO

20. Write down all the language facts that strike you throughout the day (readings, conversations, news on the radio or television...), including expressions you would not use spontaneously, in a small notebook that you will have with you AT ALL TIMES (see Activity 9). Then reuse them as far as possible in the expression activities (10 to 19).

21. Each day, read ONE article carefully and note down all the words and expressions that you have not spontaneously used (spend about 1/4 hour a day on them). Then use them again in written or oral expression activities (10 to 19).

Source: http://interpretertrainingresources.eu/language/perfectionnement-linguistique-esit/
12 x

s_allard
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N), English (N), Spanish (C2 Cert.), German (B2 Cert)

Re: Advice from ESIT on language learning

Postby s_allard » Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:05 pm

Thanks to Gustav Aschenbach for this great little list. As I am sure most readers did, I asked myself which of these tips have I used or am currently using. What I would add to this list is the explicit use of a form of SRS flashcards. This can take various forms - I note the list recommends a little notebook of words and phrases (points 20 and 21). I would also add posters of phrases and phrases that one can put on the wall or even as wallpaper on one's computer.
1 x

Gustav Aschenbach
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Re: Advice from ESIT on language learning

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:41 pm

Thanks for your comment, s_allard. The recommendations show very well how much effort is actually necessary in order to master a foreign language.

s_allard wrote:What I would add to this list is the explicit use of a form of SRS flashcards. This can take various forms - I note the list recommends a little notebook of words and phrases (points 20 and 21).

I would add an SRS as well and actually combine it with the aforementioned notebook (I already do that, I take plenty of notes and then make Anki cards out of them in order to not forget them) - much more efficient when it comes to memorization than just flipping through the (dozens of) notebook(s) from time to time.

I would also add posters of phrases and phrases that one can put on the wall or even as wallpaper on one's computer.

A good idea for things one tends to forget all the time.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”