Comprehensible Input for Modern Greek

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Gustav Aschenbach
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Re: Comprehensible Input for Modern Greek

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:55 pm

hagestolz wrote:It's highly unlikely that a random tourist would be posting in Greek in the first place and it would be clear from the translation if someone was writing complete rubbish.

The tourist writes it in his native tongue and then uses Google translate so that the owner understands it. Why not?

Posters' name and location might also be a pointer towards validity I think this is an excellent suggestion from Kraut

Being a native speaker doesn't necessarily mean that you can write well / without mistakes / not in a strange way and doesn't automatically make a text "valid" in order to be used as a model for language learning. There are sou many good resources on the Internet -- why not any other text you find on the net if you use Google translate/Google translate's voice anyway? Wikipedia articles, newspapers, magazines etc.? Why this fixation on tripadvisor?
0 x

hagestolz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(N); Ger, Fr, Sp, Cz, It, Du, Ru, Gk, Port

Postby hagestolz » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:21 pm

It's not a fixation, just a helpful suggestion. I don't see the problem of just accepting it as such and adding it. as a resource along with Wikipedia articles etc. I'm sure all of us make the odd slip in our native language and don't see that as a problem.
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:32 pm

Gustav Aschenbach wrote:Being a native speaker doesn't necessarily mean that you can write well / without mistakes / not in a strange way and doesn't automatically make a text "valid" in order to be used as a model for language learning. There are sou many good resources on the Internet -- why not any other text you find on the net if you use Google translate/Google translate's voice anyway? Wikipedia articles, newspapers, magazines etc.? Why this fixation on tripadvisor?

Don't forget that the thread-opener has an A2/B1 level in Greek already, a Greek wife and his Greek mother-in-law comes to visit them. Wikipedia or Agatha Christie won't help much in this situation.
0 x

Gustav Aschenbach
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), French (C1), Dutch (beginner), Spanish (beginner), Portuguese (beginner)

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:16 pm

Kraut wrote:Don't forget that the thread-opener has an A2/B1 level in Greek already, a Greek wife and his Greek mother-in-law comes to visit them. Wikipedia or Agatha Christie won't help much in this situation.

He/she is interested in history, food and is looking for Greek translations of books/short stories he/she has already read, wants to know what's going on in Greece today, but has difficulties understanding written Greek. Wikipedia is an excellent resource for history- and food-related knowledge as well as for a bunch of other things. I admit that Greek Wikipedia with its 185,000+ articles might not offer enough choice for someone who as reached a level as high as A2 or B1 and surely far fewer subjects than Tripadvisor (as well as less linguistic accuracy), but why not give it a shot anyway. And why would Agatha Christie be a bad idea (which I didn't mention at all, by the way)? He/she's looking for Greek translations of the Hardy Boys series. Would Agatha Christie be so far-fetched?
0 x

Gustav Aschenbach
Orange Belt

Postby Gustav Aschenbach » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:19 pm

hagestolz wrote:It's not a fixation, just a helpful suggestion. I don't see the problem of just accepting it as such and adding it. as a resource along with Wikipedia articles etc. I'm sure all of us make the odd slip in our native language and don't see that as a problem.

Come on, Hagestolz, Kraut doesn't need a lawyer, does (s)he. I accept Tripadvisor as a suggestion (as if I had a choice) but please accept my opinion as well (as if you had a choice). Great nickname, though ;)
0 x

embici
White Belt
Languages: English (N) French (B2) Spanish (C1) Greek (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5175

Postby embici » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:31 am

It sounds like we are at about the same level, and we both have hard-of-hearing Greek mothers-in-law! :D

Some good suggestions have already been mentioned. Are you on social media? What I have enjoyed is following Greeks on Twitter who tweet about topics that interest me. Their tweets often lead me to articles on websites I would have never found otherwise, on topics I want to learn more about.
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:06 pm

I haven't visited Grrece since the Polyglot congress in Thessaloniki, but I would be very surprised if you can't still buy those cheap blue guide books in a wide range of languages. I have bought some for destinations like Rhodes, Athens and Delphoi, and it seems that they are fairly good and loyal translations of some common source so you can use any couple of guides almost as one big happy bilingual text - except of course that it is easier to se the two languages side by side on the same sheet of paper.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”