Vasco Translator M3 - Unboxing and First Look

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:54 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEL19mDqEaI

translation test from 7:30

I can imagine an excellent learning machine apart from its use in a tourist environment.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Vasco Translator M3 - Unboxing and First Look

Postby Cavesa » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:11 pm

I am a bit underwhelmed. Even my grandpa (really) had a "digital dictionary", in the times long before mobile phones. It looked a bit like a calculator, it translated words from Czech to English and German. Sure, this is a bit more advanced, but still far from the elegance of a real digital babblefish.

But I agree it could still be very helpful in some situations. However, I'd first want to see a different language combination than English-FIGS. That's really superfluous, in a society pushing everybody to learn English, and the least needed (you can just open your phone with the Google Translate, it is already ok for not complicated touristy stuff in these languages). But I'll be impressed, when it translates acurately from Arabic to Swahili, or from Hungarian to Czech (both are combinations some people are very likely to need and unlikely to know).

Plus I still don't trust this, in a world filled with media manipulation, and in some cases censorship. I somehow don't think the official software to the machine will accurately translate stuff like "What do you think about the elections?" to Belarussian, or "How is the Covid situation in your town?" to Mandarin. Perhaps now, but in ten years: no way.

And there will be a huge difference between people using it as a learning tool, and those actually learning worse, because they'll be using it like many "learners" use Google Translate these days. It might either open new doors for us all, or it might put an extra layer of distance in the communication and lead us further into the idiocracy (the heavy use of electronic devices instead of our brains already leads to documented changes in the populations intellect and its structure).
3 x

Foxdie
Languages: English

Re: Vasco Translator M3 - Unboxing and First Look

Postby Foxdie » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:10 pm

looks good, thanks for sharing
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”